Formula's are out - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Formula's are out

LOL,,,,,,,Good looking stuff.

http://orijen.ca/wholeprey/ORIDRYWEBBRO2012.pdf

Orijen
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

They look good enough to try a small sample pack. I think the legumes are now low enough in the list to not be considered a protein source. Still wish they would replace the canola in the 6 fish with sunflower as they could use less vegetable oil and get the omega SIX that they are using the canola for

Do you know if the new formula will dissolve in water if you soak it? My last experience was repeatedly having it thrown up undigested hours later but I think it was related to dissolution as he was eating different 38% protein foods before (TOTW) and after (NL) with no issues.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It does look good. I like companies that are always bettering their product, there's always room for improvement

I feed Fromm but buy little sample bags of other kibbles to stuff their kongs so I'll try and pick some up.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

So pretty much in the case of 6 Fish type they

took out this: russet potato, sweet potato

and

added this: chickpeas, red lentils, green lentils, green peas, pea fibre, canola oil

However it is to mention that in the previous/ current formula potatoes appear on the 6th and 7th place in the ingredient list.
In the new one chickpeas/peas appear on 12th+ place in the ingredient list.

It is to be believed that peas content based on its placement on the ingredient list is not a big changer when it comes to protein source of this new formula.

Also
New formula: 456 kcal per 250ml/120g cup
Old formula: 480 kcal per 250ml/120g cup

Just wondering how much will this new type of 6 Fish cost when it hits the market.
vukc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

That is where the numbers well, you just don't know because the weight of all the various peas and lentils combined may be more or less than the original weight of the potatoes and is that the dry weight of the peas and lentils or the dry weight as they are very low moisture content when dried which is how they are normally supplied vs potatoes that have a high water content.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I only have senior available to me at this time. After all the research I have done on all the different types of meals, I like seeing the whole meats. Ya, it is added wet but at least we know that their is some meat in the food and not just bone and skin like meal is.

Do you know if the new formula will dissolve in water if you soak it? I have no clue...

Just wondering how much will this new type of 6 Fish cost when it hits the market. 2-3 bucks is what I have been told.
LOL, it is spendy and that's why I have been replacing a lot of kibble for fresh meat and whatever else I find on sale. Heck, Tony even eats baby carrots raw, out of my hand, he thinks he is getting a treat. GSD's are such goof balls.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Ok, this is not bashing this food but to state that other vendor's various meat meals are "bone and skin" is incorrect. FWIW Orijen uses meal as well in THEIR formulas. Can you share this research? By definition the calciumhosphorus ratios in meat meals cannot exceed 2.2:1

Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Actually the chicken meal percent's of Tyson, who supplies Diamond made products, among others, was posted on Dog food adviser. But you can get meal percent make up's, from any chicken/turkey producing company and you won't like what you receive. I couldn't find it the last time I was on Tyson's site, but you can and should e-mail them and ask the question. Don't take my word for it. Ask Tyson for the fact sheet. Ask around, it really opened up my eyes. Ask the dog food manufacture you like the best, what the make up of their chicken meal is and watch how they dodge the question, then ask who supplies their meal and watch how they dodge that one. Then put 2 and 2 together. Researching the different meals is time consuming, but finding out the truth is well worth the effort.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tyso...ient=firefox-a

Last edited by 3ToesTonyismydog; 02-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

The more research I do the more I want to feed fresh food to my dog and less kibble, to include Orijen. I now feed Tony half fresh and half kibble and I hope in the future to be feeding even less kibble. I have noticed a difference in Tonys coat since I started this new diet and his coat was soft and shiny before, now it is unreal. Everywhere I go he always gets a comment on how soft and shinny his coat is.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I will ultimately do that once I get us there but I am demanding our own meats to be grass fed or pasture fed and hormone free / antibiotic free - so the goal will be waste meats and bones in the correct ratios from natural food processors as there is a growing movement in our area of local meat suppliers.

The exception will have to be venison though because wild venison here may as well be grain fed. LOL I have cleaned out a few deer stomachs when I fed raw and they were packed with corn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.