Food frustrations - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Food frustrations

We'd been feeding all 3 dogs a combo of Kirkland Signature Lamb and RIce and Chicken and rice combo. When Rebel got sick and lost so much weight and we weren't sure why, I switched to the Nature's Domain grain free, but left the other 2 dogs on the other.

Now I've been feeding (or trying to) the Nature's Domain and a can of Kirkland Signature--normally this dog would climb a straight wall for canned food. With the B12 shots I was just sure that he'd start eating the Nature's Domain better. With the facial paralysis from the ear infection, he was having trouble with kibble, so I started feeding canned, which of course he initially loved.

Same problem as ever with this dog. 2-3 days into a loved new food, and he won't eat it. He's been enthusiastic about cream cheese that I use for his pills. He drools which watching us eat.

So tonight on a whim, I figured I'd throw a cup of the other dogs' food on his cookie sheet (he can't eat well out of a bowl with the facial paralysis) along with the canned and Nature's Domain combo...he ate the other food. So I threw another cup full on there. He ate all that, but none of the canned or Nature's Domain.

What's the verdict? Go with what he'll actually eat--which is why we switched from Nutro natural in the first place? Or continue trying the good food?
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Seriously this dog is making me crazy. This morning he wouldn't eat the "other" dog's food. He didn't eat anything this morning.

He is about 20 pounds under weight.

Tonight after his medication in cream cheese, he wouldn't eat the canned food. Which he would have killed for any other time in his life. Nope. Won't eat it, won't eat the "other" food, won't eat the good kibble.

Nope, he eats DRY NOODLES that I dropped on the floor by accident. They are apparently the best food EVER.

On top of the fact that Guinness consumed about a cup of milk chocolate chips that one of the children left out by accident--just happens to be the same 14 year old who always leaves food out "by accident".
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Food frustrations

Try chicken and rice. I know it's a bland diet but at least he will eat something. My sisters dog just stopped eating one and she went crazy for 4 days trying to figure out why. First thing is talk to your vet and make sure that he is healthy...blood test will help. If he is just fine he may just want to have a fresh diet...homemade or raw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Karma6577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i am thinking he has developed a taste for people food. you could try mixing in cream cheese with his food and see if that helps.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma6577 View Post
Try chicken and rice. I know it's a bland diet but at least he will eat something. My sisters dog just stopped eating one and she went crazy for 4 days trying to figure out why. First thing is talk to your vet and make sure that he is healthy...blood test will help. If he is just fine he may just want to have a fresh diet...homemade or raw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That's the main problem...he hasn't been healthy. We had tests run for EPI, for B12 deficiency and for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. The only one that came back positive was the B12 deficiency so he's getting b12 shots at least once a week--though we may be going to twice a week. In addition he has facial paralysis on one side as a result of a severe middle ear infection that pressed on the facial nerve. So the medication that he has to be on for that for 4 weeks is also one that depresses appetite.

From Thanksgiving time through Christmas he pretty much lived on rice and meat (turkey, elk, deer or super lean beef) but those don't provide enough vitamins. Now it seems he's so spoiled that he wants something different every day. I'm over it. This morning he got the Nature's Domain mixed in with the Kirkland Signature lamb etc. and while he didn't eat really great, he did eat some. I figure, once he's off the antibiotics maybe he'll start eating better.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i am thinking he has developed a taste for people food. you could try mixing in cream cheese with his food and see if that helps.
I think you may be right--he IS used to other foods just to get us to tempt him to actually eat.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

My dog was a picky eater and also has a sensitive stomach...i would find something he liked, but it would ruin his gut and he would end up with diarrhea for a week. I went through so many foods, found he can't eat turkey or chicken or fish based food which doesn't leave me with a lot of leeway as most foods have that as a main ingredient, some he liked some he wouldn't touch. Finally i tried Wolf King which is bison based, which i know some people don't like to feed there dogs that brand, but he eats it and no more diarrhea. Maybe find a food that is based with bison or something....I wish you luck
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I recently went through the picky phase and was trying to find something that would work. I was adding canned food to Bear's kibble but then found that he would lick the canned food and leave the kibble.
I am now feeding Bear Nature's Variety Instinct (Grain Free) Duck and Turkey but I will also add some cooked ground turkey with the kibble.
I have found that when I add it in this way he inevitably has to eat some of the kibble to get to the cooked turkey. I will also periodically add other things like raw eggs or some premade raw, but so far he's liking the combo.
I hope you find something that works for you!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

3dog...I mentioned colostrum to you before, which I still believe you should add for the GI tract and immune system as well fights infection...but also include this

SeaCure (read what is provided in the link provided where you can order it from)...you can also do a seacure "review" search in google - lots of good things said and has is considered by some vets too.

Seacure for Pets 100g powder by Proper Nutrition

Seacure for Pets speeds the healing of wounds throughout the body, repairs digestive organs, alleviates nausea and vomiting, stops diarrhea, supports the liver during detoxification, reduces the side effects of chemotherapy and possibly helps prevent or reverse cancer, prevents toxemia in pregnancy, rescues newborns from Fading Puppy Syndrome, helps elderly dogs maintain their strength and stamina, helps all dogs recover from chronic and acute illness, stimulates hair growth, reduces urinary tract infection, reduces or eliminates allergic reactions, prevents hot spots improves mobility, reduces pain, and even enhances the effectiveness of homeopathy and herbal therapies.
That miracle food exists, and dogs love its taste. They should. It's an odoriferous powder made from fermented fish.
Invented to Combat Hunger

Uruguayan researchers tested a combination of two-thirds mother's milk and one-third fermented fish powder for premature infants and found that the fish powder improved assimilation and weight gain. The researchers reported a "most remarkable" disappearance of dysergia (lack of motor control due to defective nerve transmission) in cases of dystropy. When given to pregnant women, the supplement was also found to be very effective in promoting normal birth weights (preventing low birth weights).
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

We have been dealing with the B12 issue and SIBO for over two years now and I can tell you that either one can make them not want to eat. Nikki responded pretty quick to the injections but it may take longer for your boy.

Maybe his stomach hurts or he feels nauseous?

Michaela

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.