Bacteria in Bully Sticks - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

rotfl !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
These aren't "raw". They are dried, just like beef jerky we eat. Why would anyone NOT wash their hands after handling dried bull penis? lol
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

just before reading this thread i gave my dog a bully stick
and i didn't wash my hands afterwards. i washed my hands
before giving my dog the bully stick. now that i think about
it i wash my hands before feeding my dog or giving him
treats (most of the time). i wash my hands before handling
his food not afterwards. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoschi's_Pet_Human View Post
Seriously!! If we sanitize our entire world, we'll destroy our immune systems!! I do NOT wash my hands after tossing a bully stick to my dog!! And you can't make me!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, I don't wash my hands after giving my dogs bully sticks...

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia_bear View Post
As someone who has almost lost a parent from something that tested positive for E.coli, I can tell you that taking this with a grain of salt can be life threatening. There are many different strands of E.coli and some such as O157:H7 if untreated can lead to organ failure and blood poisoning.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That is one strain...out of??? Like I wrote: there ARE exceptions. If anything tests positive for a potentially-dangerous strain, that will be made very clear by the report (which should always be from a peer-reviewed journal article, not People or something equally stupid). I just don't see it as helpful or reasonable for people to be afraid of something that is generally a good thing. Dogs have the potential to kill people too...

+ 3 mares, a siamese/bengal girl, and a rosehair tarantula lady
GerMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Honestly, the whole OMG BACTERIA SANITIZE EVERYTHING hysteria in this country cracks me up. Other than the very obvious "Wash your hands after handling raw meat or going to the bathroom" rule, which is a pretty good one, the rest of it all is mostly designed to sell us stuff.

This is such a very first-world problem.

We'd all be much better off if we stopped using any sort of anti-bacterial soaps and stopped eating foods from animals who were fed antibiotics. Our bodies are made to handle a pretty steady diet of germs pretty well, but we keep creating SUPER-germs thanks to our paranoia.

It's pretty insane if you stop to think about it.

Edit: I am sorry about what your parent went through gaia_bear. But the e-coli strains that are out of control are almost always the ones we have turned into super-bacteria thanks to our buying into years of being sold anti-bacterial and anti-biotic everything. :-(

Last edited by Muneraven; 02-01-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

I definitely do not wash my hands like a germs poster would recommend. I played in mud and played with bugs when I was a kid..oops. and I don't wash my hands after feeding or playing with my dog.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I once saw our dog grab a sandwich from my 4 year old son's hand. He took it out of the dog's mouth and ate the rest. I saw it from the window so couldn't do anything. The kids didn't grow up in the wild but they played with wild snakes, spiders, played in the mud and the forest. We had plenty of pets etc. They only washed their hands before meals and were bathed daily. We never used antibacterial soap (OMG!!) The kids are grown and are never sick. One actually never had antibiotics until in his twenties. So why all this hype about bacteria?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

As a now retired RN who dealt with some SERIOUSLY nasty super bugs... we created this mess. Antibiotics for things that weren't really bacterial infections, folks that actually had an infection not finishing their prescription, and the over use of anti-bacterial hand products. I actually went to a seminar on this.

Being immunocompremised, I wash my hands often. I do wash before feeding my dogs and parrots and after. I wash my hands before I eat (which takes care of touching the dogs) and before and after handling my parrots. I did not wash my hands earlier after giving a dog a bully stick. It was new and dry. I'm sure I washed them in the next ten minutes, though. I also grew up in the 'play outside in all the stuff' and washed my hands when coming back in , bathroom trips, and before handling food, dishes, or eating. I was a sick kid, but that didn't stop how I grew up. Too much worry about everything these days. The people paranoia is going over into pets now. I've had C-diff before. It is MISERABLE!! MRSA you get to keep when you get it. I figure if I didn't pick it up when working, I've got to be pretty resistant to it.

So what if people don't know what bully sticks are made of and give them anyway? Have you seen some of the people that vote?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

e-coli, salmonella and getting various other things
is overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muneraven View Post

>>>>> Honestly, the whole OMG BACTERIA SANITIZE EVERYTHING hysteria in this country cracks me up.<<<<<

Other than the very obvious "Wash your hands after handling raw meat or going to the bathroom" rule, which is a pretty good one, the rest of it all is mostly designed to sell us stuff.

This is such a very first-world problem.

We'd all be much better off if we stopped using any sort of anti-bacterial soaps and stopped eating foods from animals who were fed antibiotics. Our bodies are made to handle a pretty steady diet of germs pretty well, but we keep creating SUPER-germs thanks to our paranoia.

It's pretty insane if you stop to think about it.

Edit: I am sorry about what your parent went through gaia_bear. But the e-coli strains that are out of control are almost always the ones we have turned into super-bacteria thanks to our buying into years of being sold anti-bacterial and anti-biotic everything. :-(
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

lol and who said you shouldn't take food away from a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post

>>>> I once saw our dog grab a sandwich from my 4 year old son's hand. He took it out of the dog's mouth and ate the rest. <<<<

I saw it from the window so couldn't do anything. The kids didn't grow up in the wild but they played with wild snakes, spiders, played in the mud and the forest. We had plenty of pets etc. They only washed their hands before meals and were bathed daily. We never used antibacterial soap (OMG!!) The kids are grown and are never sick. One actually never had antibiotics until in his twenties. So why all this hype about bacteria?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.