German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Wet food recommendation (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/208674-wet-food-recommendation.html)

hvtopiwala 01-23-2013 12:04 PM

Wet food recommendation

my dog is starting to be a punk with kibble food, and wants to only eat wet food (picks the wet food topper off his kibble)...never used to put any topper until recently when he stopped touching his food....anyways hes on Acana Regionals right now (Pacifica), and ive tried changing kibble but it was the same problem. can you recommend a high quality wet food him? how is Merricks Grain Free?

also, how do i use a dog food calculator with wet food? i cant find anything related to kcal/cup for wet food lol

Mary Beth 01-23-2013 12:42 PM

I would be concerned about his teeth, sore gums, or a mouth sore, if he has suddenly stopped eating the dry kibble and I would have that checked out first. To have him eat the mixture of kibble and topper, I would really mix the topper first with water, then mix in the kibble so that everything is moist. If the kibble is large that may not work. You can try to find a kibble that is smaller. I feed Solid Gold Barking at the Moon - that is a small kibble and it is grain free. For the calories - there should be some guidelines on the can. If not, I would contact the manufacturer.

Rua 01-23-2013 01:05 PM

Try breaking up a few tinned sardines in his kibble too. My picky girl will eat her kibble right up if it has sardines in it.

Shade 01-23-2013 01:11 PM

If I mix in wet food I only use about a tablespoon warmed up and mixed with the kibble really well

I've used Tripett, Merrick, and Fromm with good results

Bear GSD 01-23-2013 01:19 PM

I used to mix in canned food with my pup's kibble, but he started being picky about it and the canned was very expensive to supplement. I will still sometimes still add Trippet to his food, he likes that a lot.
Right now I am adding a little cooked ground turkey to his kibble and so far he's been eating everything kibble and turkey. I'll make a lb of turkey and it will last me about 3 days adding it to his food. I hope you find something that works for you!

barnyard 01-24-2013 08:28 AM

I feed dry kibble with a wet kibble topper. I loved Merrick, but my budget didn't, so now we're using the Kirkland (Costco) cuts in gravy. It's rated well, and it is approximately .75 a can. Sometimes I use Dr. Fox's recipe for dogs as a topper. I shape the food into large meatballs, and freeze. Then I just take them out the night before and put 1-2 in each dog's bowl along with kibble. I can get ground turkey here for 1.69/lb so it is not too expensive either.

Mary Beth 01-24-2013 12:51 PM

Instead of topping, try putting the wet food on the bottom - so your dog has to eat through the kibble to get to the wet food.

byrds8 01-24-2013 03:44 PM

Ive tried that as well as mixing it together. Shes too smart for it and pushes the hard out of the way to get to the other lol.

3ToesTonyismydog 01-24-2013 05:03 PM

Just look at the percent of meat in the product. By-Nature 95% meat, Evander's, Evo and Wysong all have high percent of meat in their product. By-Nature and Evander's have great price's, Evander's has a great line out for a fantastic price but is hard to find, 1.39. Innova has a pretty good product line and their large puppy, has an incredibly great smell.

I add a little hot water and mix the can into a gravy then mix it into my dogs food.

Wet Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor

Mary Beth 01-24-2013 09:00 PM

What I am wondering is, what would happen if you just put down the dry kibble. Take it up after 20 minutes if your dog doesn't eat. Then offer it again at the next meal time. Also be careful to limit any treats. If the dog is hungry, he'll eat. It is not going to hurt him if he is healthy to miss some meals. When my Sting isn't hungry, that's what I do. He gobbles it up at the next meal.