Raw & Kibble? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raw & Kibble?

Hi,

I am new to the form as well as new getting a Small puppy home on Feb 15th and he will be 7 weeks old. and I was woundring what would be the best food to fead my puppy? I was looking into Instinct raw food + Kebble from Instinct as well. Money is not a problem but i want to make sure that i am feeding him the best out there. oh and the breeder actually is feeding them raw right now. Also I looked into Earth born(Was suggested by the breeder), Evo & taste of the wild. I really dont know what to do.

It also seems that allot of reviews say that Raw is the way to go but would that gonna be a good idea to do Raw food from Instinct?
Szarek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congratulations! You must be ecstatic!
There are several ways to feed raw, and everyone has different ideas, but NV Instinct is a nice product that contains organs, bone, vegetables & fruit and is AAFCO approved for "all life stages". One thing you may want to add is krill oil or such. The varieties are great to rotate thru, but be aware that for some dogs, duck and lamb are very rich and may create loose stool or diarrhea. Your Fur Baby will have an adjustment period after leaving Mama and coming into strange a place, so it's been my experience to start on one variety like beef and keep him on that for several weeks until he is adjusted. Then introduce each rotation slowly by mixing it with whatever variety you are feeding.
Good luck and send us pics when you get him!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are a ton of Raw&Kibble threads if you use the search option. Just feed whatever works for your dog. If money is not an obstacle then why not just feed the raw? Some folks don't like to feed both together because kibble promotes an alkaline gut while raw promotes a more acidic gut. Frankly it doesn't matter if your dog is healthy.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you so much for Replying.

I was thinking to do the Chicken raw bites from Instinct and also there chicken kibble. What else should I be preparring for as far as food or treats or anything that i Must know?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Honest Kitchen is another option you may want to look into.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

If your breeder is feeding her dogs raw, then he/she is the best person to ask if you are interested in keeping the pup on the same diet.

Commercial raw like Nature's Variety, Primal, Bravo, etc is pretty pricey, and all ground. For dental health you should also feed raw meaty bones in addition to just the ground.

I am a believer that raw is the best way to go, so if you want to do it, i say go for it. I did for a long time feed my dog a diet of morning kibble meal and dinner raw, and honestly it didn't do much for him, it wasn't until i switched to 100% raw and cut out all kibble that I saw huge improvements.
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

What you think of the Instinct Raw Chicken bites? Instinct Grain-Free Raw Frozen Chicken Diet - Bites | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats
that one?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarek View Post
What you think of the Instinct Raw Chicken bites? Instinct Grain-Free Raw Frozen Chicken Diet - Bites | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats
that one?
That should work. But you can feed the medallions and patties too.
You might like want to check this one out: Organic and Human-grade Raw Dog Foods ? Chicken, Duck, Turkey, Duck, Buffalo, Beef - from Darwin?s | Darwins Natural Pet It's very high quality and they deliver it fresh frozen to your home. If you are thinking about feeding half raw and half kibble, look at The Honest Kitchen dehydrated food (as jpgsds suggested) instead of the NV kibble. It is human grade and a better product (IMO). Also, ShatteringGlass is right about feeding some raw bones (never cooked) for dental health and for teething. You can get large beef knuckle bones at a local grocery store or at a "Pet Supply Plus" store if they are in your area.
Hope this helps!
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
There are a ton of Raw&Kibble threads if you use the search option. Just feed whatever works for your dog. If money is not an obstacle then why not just feed the raw? Some folks don't like to feed both together because kibble promotes an alkaline gut while raw promotes a more acidic gut. Frankly it doesn't matter if your dog is healthy.

This came in my FB today regarding Raw

Start off cold turkey
It’s not wise to mix your puppy’s raw food with kibble. Because kibble requires a different pH in the gut to digest, it will make your puppy more susceptible to the bacteria in the raw meats. He is capable of handling this bacteria just fine, but once you add in artificial foods, the meat will sit in his digestive tract twice as long, meaning there is a much greater chance of harmful bacteria building up.

Starting Your Puppy On A Raw Diet | Dogs Naturally Magazine
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
This came in my FB today regarding Raw

Start off cold turkey
It’s not wise to mix your puppy’s raw food with kibble. Because kibble requires a different pH in the gut to digest, it will make your puppy more susceptible to the bacteria in the raw meats. He is capable of handling this bacteria just fine, but once you add in artificial foods, the meat will sit in his digestive tract twice as long, meaning there is a much greater chance of harmful bacteria building up.

Starting Your Puppy On A Raw Diet | Dogs Naturally Magazine
I already know this. While I personally wouldn't feed both, there are plenty of people out there who do for several reasons, including financial. Their dogs are doing just fine. So no I don't think it's something so criminal.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.