Kibble Feeders: Who DOESN'T feed grain-free? Why? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What type of kibble do you feed your dog? Grain-Free or Not?
I feed only grain free kibble. 35 47.30%
I feed non grain free kibble. 18 24.32%
I feed RAW and kibble. 17 22.97%
I feed only RAW. 10 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

I feed Orijen, not because it is grain-free, but, because I feel it contains the cleanest ingredient's and the most meat. It also, contains the most Glucosamine and by a large margin, compared to any of the good food's made. I like rice and I really like brown whole rice. It seems all the grained dog foods contain a lot of other grain crap, crap, such as barley, pearled barley, oats, oat bran, wheat, sorghum, brewers rice, rice flour, soybean and other low grain crap.
I also like seeing whole meats, I know they are calculated wet compared to meals, which are dry, but meals are mostly bone. I have been researching meals for over a year now and I am surprised on how little meat is contained in "any" chicken meal or any named meals. Even the chicken meal used by the very best dog food companies, contain mostly bone and skin.
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken and Rice and Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, 50/50, which is about 29/20 protein to fat, and around 420kcal/cup. It has no listed glutens, so they aren't dumping gluten in there to spike the protein levels artificially. The dogs have been on it for a little more than a year and they are all doing really good.
And it doesn't break the bank.
This is what I've fed to my dogs when they needed to gain weight. I think it really is an excellent kibble. I wouldn't recommend it for the average pet dog, as you only have to feed 2/3 as much as most kibbles; much more than that and your pet can get FAT. But it's fantastic for working dogs, sport dogs, or any dog that needs to put on weight.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #43 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
This also.
"for whatever reason", how about these reasons?
"Grain free" is a sales tool? Simply the latest fad??
How about, my dogs look and feel awesome on the food they eat?
And, I'm not one to jump on bandwagons? Those are but a few reasons
Your poll is way too limited, as well, for me to answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
This exactly. I tried it, but I haven't seen the much-touted benefits of grain-free. I'm glad you have, but let's try not to judge the one's that haven't.
Ah here! Relax! I wasn't havin a go at anyone here. I wanted to get some opinions because I'm looking to CHANGE from grain free to non grain free.

And I'm sorry my poll is way to limited. There was an option for those who feed GF and one who doesn't. There was an option for those who chose to do both RAW and kibble (and I meant that in a general sense - ie: any kibble, though I should have probably specified that.) And then there as an option for RAW.

Is there another option you reckon I should've added?
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToesTonyismydog View Post
I feed Orijen, not because it is grain-free, but, because I feel it contains the cleanest ingredient's and the most meat. It also, contains the most Glucosamine and by a large margin, compared to any of the good food's made. I like rice and I really like brown whole rice. It seems all the grained dog foods contain a lot of other grain crap, crap, such as barley, pearled barley, oats, oat bran, wheat, sorghum, brewers rice, rice flour, soybean and other low grain crap.
I also like seeing whole meats, I know they are calculated wet compared to meals, which are dry, but meals are mostly bone. I have been researching meals for over a year now and I am surprised on how little meat is contained in "any" chicken meal or any named meals. Even the chicken meal used by the very best dog food companies, contain mostly bone and skin.
Really? That's interesting...I was always under the impression that meals were supposed to be higher in protein than whole meats. I didn't know they were so full of bone.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #45 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

You can have some insight into the amount of bone in a meal by looking at the overall Calcium and Phosphorus content of the food.

Many folks like Orijen but there are plenty of other foods that are not "crap". If I am feeding a food with meat meal and no other significant source of proteins (such as peas, beans, lentils) then I am going to assume most of it came from the meat in the meal.

Ken made the best point! Use what works for your own dog.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #46 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I am now mixing grain frees (and trying to do like Ken said in looking at ingredients) with grain foods. I have four dogs who are 9 and up and I feel like they do better on the combo. Who knows, but that's my reason!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #47 (permalink)

We feed grain free but not because we want to we feed it because Jerry requires it. Grain free with no chicken. I am uncomfortable with feeding a puppy grain free because of growth issues but when he was feed food with grains or chicken and was sick and not gaining weight and just not seeming to thrive as his brothers did I was worried. Since going grain free he has gained weight appropriately, his growth is steady and slow as it should be, and he is doing much better. He was failing to thrive until being put on grain free foods.
jewels04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well I think that is, and should be, the point! Feed your dog what he does best on.

The whole thing about too much calcium for puppies and keeping the ratios of Ca to P in check is good advice, but when it comes to ingredients, the best food in the world is the worst food if your dog doesn't do well on it.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rua View Post
Really? That's interesting...I was always under the impression that meals were supposed to be higher in protein than whole meats. I didn't know they were so full of bone.
Tony's info is incorrect. Meat (specified) meals is muscle meat.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #50 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Meal is not full of bone. Unless of course you are thinking about bone meal. Meal is meat that has had the moisture removed. At least it was when I studied.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.