German Shepherds Forum banner

Ideas on Weight Gain?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Jmm4 
#1 ·
I have a nearly 3 year old black female that needs to gain some weight. She's 65 pounds but she looks thin to me. What can I do to help her gain some weight? Thanks!

Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
What do you feed her and how much?

Also she could just be lean, if you post photos looking down directly at her and a side shot you can get opinions on her physique

#4 ·
Thank you for your replies! I am feeding Flint River Ranch, she is free fed. She doesn't seem to like her food, maybe I should switch it?

Ill try to get some pictures for you guys later today, I'm out and about but I will get them :)

She has been wormed and the vet says she is healthy :)

Julie

#6 ·
Being able to feel her ribs and hips are also deceiving :) as you should be able to. For my guy, we know its time to cut back on the treats and up the exercise when it starts to become more difficult to feel his ribs - like now :). He's a bit of a chunk at 81 lbs when he should be more like 77 or so. GSDs are meant to be a lean breed and many many dogs are over weight. Many people are used to seeing those chunky dogs :) and when they look at a nice and lean GSD - like they should be - can often think they are under weight. Now I'm not one to judge since I have a 20 lb cat :) Pictures of will help though - especially one looking down on top of your dog.

#9 ·
she looks fine to me, if you want to build muscle tone, swimming is a great way to do that..Building muscle is better than building weight:)

#11 ·
#12 ·
tread mill if you have access,,start out slow with any exercise regime tho.

Another thing is walking sideways up hills vs straight up. Just plain old hiking is a good to:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.