German Shepherds Forum banner

Ok i cant take it anymore

4K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Loneforce 
#1 ·
Jonas has been on TOTW pacific stream since he was able to eat. Is there any good food out there that might strike a Fancy in him and ginger, without putting "crap food" as I call it like ceasers, and beneful mixed in so they will eat some. I dont want this thread becoming a Orijen battle. Trust me I tried Orijen and all it did was give both dogs runny poop. I have to sit there and hand feed them sometimes just so they eat, so obviously they dont like TOTW. I am begging for some serious help here. I want nothing but the best for them so they remain healthy.....Thanks in advance Jerry

#4 ·
My dog did awesome on Orijen but you could tell he only ate it because there was nothing else. He NEVER at a bowl at once. It would take him all day and all night. So we searched and searched and searched and found this, and he FREAKING LOVES IT. He will eat each feeding (2 daily) at once (this takes him several minutes, but still). It took him until mid-way through this second big bag to start looking like he did on Orijen, and I'm not convinced yet he looks quite as good yet, but we're giving it more time. Here's the link:

Grain Free Formula

He is on the Venison one.

#6 ·
My girl struggled with the TOTW Pacific stream as well. She was (is) an incredibly picky eater.

Try mixing in raw mince meat or a few broken up sardines into their kibble. Put a tablespoon or two of hot water in and mix everything around as well. That seems to make it a bit more palatable.

This usually works for me if I'm having difficulty getting my girl to eat.

Failing that, have you tried the other TOTW flavours?

#7 ·
My girl struggled with the TOTW Pacific stream as well. She was (is) an incredibly picky eater.

Try mixing in raw mince meat or a few broken up sardines into their kibble. Put a tablespoon or two of hot water in and mix everything around as well. That seems to make it a bit more palatable.

This usually works for me if I'm having difficulty getting my girl to eat.

Failing that, have you tried the other TOTW flavours?
Yes at the moment I have both pacific stream, and that new canyon recipe they have out. I even tried mixing the canned stuff they have too, so they would be eating better food then what I said in the opening statement.

#8 ·
Tripett or Pet Kind (both wet), beef tripe, lamb tripe...same company, but Pet Kind has bison and others. Most dogs will go nuts over tiny bit AND, it's a "super food" def. do sardines too - Omega 3, selenium

#9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions I am going to try the sardine in kibble thing. I wont know until tomorrow. I have to go get some and a clothes pin for my nose :laugh: I also am going to look at the food shepherdmom said as well.

#12 ·
Bear was on Nature's Choice. When we switched him, at first, he got explosive runs despite the slow wean. Mixing in pumpkin and rice foot a few days set him to rights.
At any rate....I know how frustrating the process is and how hard it if when ouranimals are sick.
Be well.

#15 ·
I fed TOTW for a while. I wasn't terribly impressed. Seems to be a lot of food in there that goes right out. Monster sized stool. And Jax stopped eating it. The last time she stopped eating her food the Boxer scarfed it down and I woke up one morning to a huge puddle of blood with diarhea in it. So I listened to her and I switched her to RAW when she stopped eating the TOTW. I would find a new food and add a bit of tripe to it.

#17 ·
I fed TOTW for a while. I wasn't terribly impressed. Seems to be a lot of food in there that goes right out. Monster sized stool. And Jax stopped eating it. The last time she stopped eating her food the Boxer scarfed it down and I woke up one morning to a huge puddle of blood with diarhea in it. So I listened to her and I switched her to RAW when she stopped eating the TOTW. I would find a new food and add a bit of tripe to it.
I agree with this 100% Both of my dogs have elephant poops. So any recomendation on what to go to? Everyone keeps saying tripe, so i will get this too.

#16 ·
Have you tried the other flavors. I feed the Roasted Fowl and mine love it. They also get a spoonful of plain yogurt and my boy Chief Chows it down. I am thinking about trying the Boar one soon. I can't feed the other two flavors. I also give them an egg twice a week shell and all and they love it.

#18 ·
I feed canidae als, which is not grain free, to the one Boxer and the rest are all raw fed so I'm no help with it comes to kibble. But definitely topping it off with some grass fed green tripe will only be beneficial to them. Is Annamaet available to you in your area? I would look for a grain free that doesn't have a ton of side ingredients past the meat. Merrick seems to be a good food. Sierra will eat most anything so it's hard for me to recommend anything she eats. She's a Goat hidden in a Boxer body.

#19 ·
Kaiser's on the Roasted Fowl because we only have two flavours in India yet.. He used to love it since it was new (switched over from Royal Canin Maxi Junior).. but now sometimes he's a little fussy.. so I had the brainwave of adding some cottage cheese to his kibble yesterday & he gobbled it up & came back for seconds (though I didn't give in).. But the thing is he likes it crushed (extra effort grrrrr).. He just won't have it dry & whole.. So I crush half dry, half soaked & mixed it with cottage cheese..
U can also try adding plain yoghurt to the crushed kibble or maybe some chicken broth..

Also my trainer advised if he's getting too picky, use the 20 minute rule.. he can't stay hungry forever knowing that his demands won't be met always.. I did that for 3 nights with Kaiser (he would eat properly in the day) & now he's started eating properly.. So good luck!

#20 ·
The kibble I have Berlin on, he eats it dry, no fuss, and right away. He gets fed 3X a day, and only during his dinner feeding do i mix in half a can of TOTW fish or lamb canned food. His kibble is NutriLife grain free fish formula, he likes it, and im currently in the process of switching over my senior dog to it. She also likes it, as she tries to sneak some nibbles from his bowl sometimes :rolleyes:

#24 ·
I don't have any advice but I wish you much luck!

After many trials I have found the only kibble my boy likes is TODF aka The Other Dog's Food. He will snub any kibble in his bowl but if I put it in my other dogs bowl he eats like he has been starved for days.

Canine reverse psychology 101 :p

#26 ·
Jonas has been on TOTW pacific stream since he was able to eat. Is there any good food out there that might strike a Fancy in him and ginger, without putting "crap food" as I call it like ceasers, and beneful mixed in so they will eat some. I dont want this thread becoming a Orijen battle. Trust me I tried Orijen and all it did was give both dogs runny poop. I have to sit there and hand feed them sometimes just so they eat, so obviously they dont like TOTW. I am begging for some serious help here. I want nothing but the best for them so they remain healthy.....Thanks in advance Jerry
I feed Taste of the Wild too and I have to say they are not thrilled. We mix in crap food to get them to eat it. Which is ironic because we feed that for their health but give them junk food to get them to eat it.

#31 ·
Jonas is still doing great on it. Ginger she is coming along slowly...very slowly. This morning she actually stopped by the bowl and ate some ;) Thanks for the recommendation Shepherdmom. You would never believe how good I feel not fighting with my dogs food now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.