German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Need advice on dry kibble... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/200057-need-advice-dry-kibble.html)

CastleFoote 01-08-2013 11:45 PM

Need advice on dry kibble...

I am having a **** of a time finding a dry kibble to feed my 10 month male GSD. I feed raw but like to keep him diversified for travel, with kibble.
Orijin, BBuffalo, Fromm, TOTW and a locally sourced brand worked for a couple months, then gastro issues arose.
I'm wondering, if a rotation w/ phasing in and out would work?
The vet tech in me is in digestive overdrive.
What have you and your GSDs had luck with?
THANK you!
K & E
'Woof'
^..^

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

wyominggrandma 01-09-2013 01:01 PM

There is a new food out, its called I and Love and You............. It is dehydrated raw, you add two cups water to one cup food. A few different varities, treats, etc. Made by a company in Boulder Colorado. Have tried some of the treat, love them. Haven't tried the food yet, still feeding Merrick

CastleFoote 01-09-2013 09:06 PM

Thank you, I'll look into it.

Mary Beth 01-09-2013 09:10 PM

For a dry kibble, Solid Gold Barking At the Moon - no grains, gluten free. My Sting loves it and does well on it.

Stevenzachsmom 01-09-2013 09:18 PM

My GSD had food allergies and digestive upsets too. I finally found that she did best on grain-free fish based kibble. Orijen was a little too rich for her, but we did Acana, Wellness, TOTW - only the fish based varieties.

gsdlover91 01-09-2013 09:47 PM

Notice your from Wisconsin! Im in IL, and feed my dog a food based out of Wisconsin, NutriLife Gold (the grain free fish formula). Berlin hasnt tolerated many other foods well, but this one is working marvelously so far!

CastleFoote 01-18-2013 10:23 PM

I've just purchased my 2nd bag of the grain free, fish formula NutriLife, they are doing really well on it.
Weird thing is he's gone to the bathroom a few times inside since switching this time??? And not loose poops either.
He NEVER does his business inside, must be adjusting...
Stinky poo-poo's.
^..^

CastleFoote 01-18-2013 10:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Have a great weekend.

Mary Beth 01-19-2013 01:14 PM

It is possible he could still be adjusting. It depends how long he has been on the new food and if the problem is still continuing. Though to break housetraining - to me that does show that the food isn't agreeing with him - too rich - too much bulk - so he has to go more often. If I were you and he is still having accidents inside - I would take him off the food. If the raw diet agreed with him, I would keep him on that and try the dehydrated raw food that Wyoming Grandma recommended for travel. The switching back and forth between raw and kibble, I think that could cause digestive problems. If raw isn't working out for you, then stick to a kibble. For this kibble, it could be the fish or even the type of fish, or another ingredient. A lamb grain free kibble may work out better, there are several - I can recommend Solid Gold Hund & Flocken. Though your dog might do well on the Solid Gold Wolfking - that has salmon and bison.

marksteven 01-19-2013 01:28 PM

Blue Buffalo Basic's Limited ingred. Fish and potato recipe has worked for me.