He needs a RAW diet. He needs to detox all the chemicals from the meds, the dry food and the HW prevention, and antifungal's
L/U links in the raw feeding section of the forum...visit Laurie's site...here is a link I was looking at the other day and was astounded in the change in this particular dog (permalink #72)...I have read plenty of books on natural feeding that told miraculous recovery stories but never saw pics like this...
Changes after being switched to raw
If you take sugars out of his diet (rice, sweet potato, carrots, all starches incl. peas, legumes), then you take away what yeasts feed on...
~ Raw organic cold pressed coconut oil (Nutiva meets these requirements), this will help kill yeast and bacteria that feed off each other...use 1 tsp./10 lbs of body weight, but introduce slow as detox can overwhelm the liver (yeast produces over 39 toxins when they die)
~ Fish body oil (human grade - not made for pets, as you don't know the quality much like the food and wheerthe ingredients are coming from)
~ Probiotic away from abx. if you choose to continue to give
~ Pancreatin digestive enzyme to help break down the proteins and fat for better assimilation - strengthen the immune system when you fuel the body, the immune system in turn will keep the bacteria and yeast in check...this also leaves less waste for the bad bacteria to feed on and will help with the poop issues.
Keep in mind the steroids are suppressing the immune system, so as long as he stays on this cycle of abx. steroids, antifugals, poor diet he will always be on it...this will cause WILL cause much deeper problems and much more costly and more toxic down the road.
Also, use the coconut oil topically on the sores - absorbes fast and has healing properties, can use to swab out the ears if they are being affected, that is likely next, and is a sign that toxicity is deeper in the body (kidneys/liver)...also look into goldenseal tea or other berberine herbs to use as compresses, can use around the eyes if they are itchy...as well safe to ingest - unless allergic, but considered safe and non-toxic. Anti-itch properties as well as anti-bacterial