What to add to my 11 month old's Kibble? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to add to my 11 month old's Kibble?

Hello All,

Parker is 11 months in a few days and so far I have not added much to his kibble. Every once in a while I add some canned salmon to his kibble. His kibble is Natures Domain (Turkey and Salmon, i switch back and forth). Granted, It is not the BEST kibble but being a graduate student pursuing his MBA, my budget is kind of limited.

So i was thinking the other day after pouring him his cup of food in his bowl, what else i can add to his food consistently (cheap as well) that doesnt make his daily eating so plain.

I toss the ball to him for a long time with my chuk-it and go on 2-4 mile walks with him in a nearby forest, so he is a very active dog but of course reading his body language and quitting once he is tired.

I have heard raw meat, or just stick to a raw meat diet, but again, I am trying to not deviate from a budget that i have for him. I have read about supplements, but i think hes a little young still to have any. I do give him join treats from GNC (500mg of glucosoamine etc), Grain Free Bison treats from Natures domain, and some biscuits every once in a while. My mother suggested eggs for him. I have not yet tried it without consultation. Others have suggested yougurt or cottage cheese. Again, i have not tried this without consultation.

Anything that can aid him in his development would be greatly appreciated.

Also any recommendation on development (joint, vitamins) supplements for his age (11 months) would be appreciated as well.

thanks!

LOU

Ruka-Shiba Inu
ParkersPopLou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd recommend reading up on how to make bone broth. It's pretty easy, you just lightly simmer different bones (feet and joint bones are best) for 12-48 hours and then pull them out, drain the liquid through a filter and into a jar. Let it cool and then stick it in the fridge. Done right, it should gel up. You can re-heat it to make soups or drink it by it's self but for my dogs, I reheat it to a liquid to mix ground foods in or plain as added nutritional liquids but since you feed kibble you can mix it with the kibble or feed it alone as extra liquids. It has several benefits but overall, it's one of my favorite sources for healthy joints.

I do agree with adding eggs and meat too. You can crack an egg over his food or give it to him whole and watch him work his mind to figure out how to open it. Meat you can add a couple ounces for added nutrition. Chicken quarters are pretty inexpensive and could replace half of his daily meal once or twice a week which will also give him some dental cleaning action and help fulfill the natural desire for a dog to chew. Adding the salmon is good but even better would be some sardines packed in water to add to your variety, great source of omega-3 oils. (My dogs also like Jack Mackerel) You can use fish oil too if you don't like the smell or idea, I know some folks are pretty grossed out by sardines. If you aren't squeamish and can get ahold of some green tripe it would be an excellent addition to your dogs diet as well! My pups love cottage cheese though they rarely ever get it, mostly because I'm way too greedy with it. Lol! Most anything on the "safe" list for dogs is ok to feed, but I feel meats/fish are the best additions since kibble can always use a protein boost, especially since the food you feed is high in potatoes.
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-GSD View Post
I'd recommend reading up on how to make bone broth. It's pretty easy, you just lightly simmer different bones (feet and joint bones are best) for 12-48 hours and then pull them out, drain the liquid through a filter and into a jar. Let it cool and then stick it in the fridge. Done right, it should gel up. You can re-heat it to make soups or drink it by it's self but for my dogs, I reheat it to a liquid to mix ground foods in or plain as added nutritional liquids but since you feed kibble you can mix it with the kibble or feed it alone as extra liquids. It has several benefits but overall, it's one of my favorite sources for healthy joints.

I do agree with adding eggs and meat too. You can crack an egg over his food or give it to him whole and watch him work his mind to figure out how to open it. Meat you can add a couple ounces for added nutrition. Chicken quarters are pretty inexpensive and could replace half of his daily meal once or twice a week which will also give him some dental cleaning action and help fulfill the natural desire for a dog to chew. Adding the salmon is good but even better would be some sardines packed in water to add to your variety, great source of omega-3 oils. (My dogs also like Jack Mackerel) You can use fish oil too if you don't like the smell or idea, I know some folks are pretty grossed out by sardines. If you aren't squeamish and can get ahold of some green tripe it would be an excellent addition to your dogs diet as well! My pups love cottage cheese though they rarely ever get it, mostly because I'm way too greedy with it. Lol! Most anything on the "safe" list for dogs is ok to feed, but I feel meats/fish are the best additions since kibble can always use a protein boost, especially since the food you feed is high in potatoes.
Sounds like a pretty good recommendation to me, or you could also add in some kind of wet canned food.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

OMG Bone Broth sounds awesome. Read up on it and its pretty neat tasty stuff. Apparently its good for us as well!

great tip!!!!!!!!! I have a slow cooker and it should do the deal. Thanks!!!

Ruka-Shiba Inu
ParkersPopLou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.