Just a Pet Food Rant - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

I feed my pup (10 months old) Royal Canin biscuits and beef mince. The biscuits come in a 12kg bag which lasts around 6 weeks, and costs around $110 (Aus-$$). Mince wise it's around $12 a bag which lasts maybe 4 nights? So on average it works out to be about, $5.60 per day?

When people tell my fiancÚ and I it's ludicrous to pay that amount I just reiterate the pup cost $1250, so there's no point in going cheap with food. Premium dog = premium food.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Actually Royal Canin is a very low grade dog food. Check it out by googling dog food review sites. I am not a big fan of dog food advisor because they list a lot of dog foods as 5 star, when they are really nothing more than 3 star. Dog food analysis rarely gets updated but they tell it like it is. But these 3 sites are a beginning.

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

http://dogfoodchat.com/

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

Here is a great site if you have some time to do a little reading.

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Royal Canin spends more on research than most other pet food companies. They build their kibble based on the demands of the dog. They were the first company that produced breed specific diets based on years of research on the nutrient requirements and physiology of the Herman shepherd. If you would study to why they include certain products in their food it makes perfect sense. I've used most premium kibbles on the market today and some dogs don't do very well on the most expensive brands - Origen included. Find a kibble you can afford and one that your dog will eat.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Rocky's food is 29$ for 40 pounds....pretty cheap but the ingredients are the same or better as many bags that run 50$ for a smaller amount.

Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken and Rice
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Rocky's food is 29$ for 40 pounds....pretty cheap but the ingredients are the same or better as many bags that run 50$ for a smaller amount.

Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken and Rice
That's what I'm using now. Perfect amount of protein. Dogs love it also!

VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

We tried 6 or 7 different foods..(over a long course of time, giving him time to adjust to each one)...no matter how long we waited, he had diarrhea on all of them and a dirty coat with smelly ears/breath. Within 5 days of being on Diamond Naturals, diarrhea was gone and within a few weeks his coat and ears were great!
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
We tried 6 or 7 different foods..(over a long course of time, giving him time to adjust to each one)...no matter how long we waited, he had diarrhea on all of them and a dirty coat with smelly ears/breath. Within 5 days of being on Diamond Naturals, diarrhea was gone and within a few weeks his coat and ears were great!
Same here! Diamond Adult Chicken and Rice is what I have had the most success with. I feed 4 cups a day,2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. Lean muscle, shiny coat, consistent stools and full of energy. It's grain free, nice sized bag, and a decedent price!

VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

I find lately with her Royal Canin she won't eat the biscuits straight away, she will often it leave it until she's hungry I guess? Put some mince in it though and she will eat that ASAP.. After reading this thread I wonder if she just doesn't like the biscuits she's being fed?

Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Because I just can't imagine at all how a person can sustain on only $100 in groceries a month unless you are emaciated and live on peanut butter sandwiches and raman noodles.
I actually, usually (finals week being an exception, in which case I buy junk food and don't even care), live on less than that. It's very doable and I'm certainly not emaciated lol. I will grant you it's probably not the healthiest diet, but it's really not that hard for one person, especially if you're paying attention to sales. I try to run about $50 a month on groceries, but am willing to spend up to $100.

As for how much I spend on dog food. My mom knows and two of my family members who also are really into their dogs know. Other than that nobody knows. Part of it is I think it's rude to talk about money. Part of it is, it's nobody's business why I do with my money. I earn it; I'll spend it how I see fit. People are only able to comment on your life if you provide them with information to comment on. My policy has been, unless you're asking about how much I spend on something for a reason I see as valid (such as one of my cousins asking me about how much I paid for Sasha's food because she was wanting to switch her dogs off of the food they were on.) then I'm gonna tell you I don't talk about my money.

Last edited by NewbieShepherdGirl; 01-07-2013 at 01:04 AM.
NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.