My dog won't eat! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My dog won't eat!

I have a 19 month old German Shepherd and ever since we got him at 10 weeks old he has been a terrible eater! When I say I have tried everything I have! He burps a lot lately and has smelly farts, he also get diarrhea after having a run and swim at the beach! I'm starting to worry it might be something serious! Anyone had similar problems?

Thanks
Amie
Bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

What food is he eating currently?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

When I lived near the beach I took my dogs a lot and my German Shepherd would always have diarrhea afterwards, he also was the only one who drank the saltwater. So that could be why he has loose stools after the beach. Try to bring plenty of fresh water and stop him if he's trying to drink the ocean. (Or in my dogs case, also trying to catch the waves in his mouth haha)

I do wonder what you're feeding though, some of the ingredients may not be agreeing with him and he may have a harder time digesting them which would cause the gas. Besides a possible food change, you may want to look into some digestive enzymes and see if they help. Burping and farting a lot isn't good, in more ways than just running you out of your home from the smell! This could also be why he's not eating good, if I had to eat the same thing each day and each day it made me gassy, bloated, ect then I would rather just not eat too. Have you spoke with the vet? There is always a chance that there is an underlying medical problem that needs to be addressed. Besides the diarrhea after the beach, how are his stools normally? Any weight trouble?
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Whenever I take Tony to the beach I always get a can of dog food pumpkin or a can of 100% pumpkin with nothing added. That really helps with diarrhea and Tony always gets diarrhea after going to the beach. I would first have him checked out by a vet, who knows GSD's. He could be allergic to something, I would try a grainfree and one without chicken. Those can be issue's with our dogs. Also many GSD's are allergic to flea's and even one can give my dog fits. Sand flea's can also cause issues with our breed. Have him checked by a vet and take a stool sample with you, the vet will need that.
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

......How is burping/farting and reluctance to eat related to flea allergies???
SS-GSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Ask your vet the then next time you take your dog in. My vet specializes in our breed, you might wanna find one in your area.
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have that baby checked for giardia
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I hope you have had you puppy to the vet to make sure all is well. If all is well then I feel you must start looking into food allergies. Quality dog food is key.
ZAYDA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.