German Shepherds Forum banner

Help me with these "oils"

4K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Liesje 
#1 ·
My dogs are getting dry and itchy so my vet is recommending more omega-3s and I keep seeing people going on about coconut oil. I've got organic extra virgin coconut oil and fish oil tablet that say: 600mg fish oil, 300mg omega-3, 162mg EPA, and 108mg DHA. Oh and I have apple cider vinegar if that's of any value.

My dogs usually eat one large meal (2 cups) a day so that is when I plan to add these things. I also give them a handful of food in the morning and handful before bed but don't serve it in a bowl.

So how much of each of those things should I add to 2 cups of kibble for a 65lb and 75lb dog? I also float the food with warm water (melts the coconut, helps slow down the scarfing, and makes me feel better about them getting enough liquid since there is no water pail outside during the winter).

#35 ·
My old dog is getting scruffy skin - vet also said omega - fish oil and then said to use KRILL oil as it is more concentrated....I have to hide it in the coconut oil for them to eat it though :(

Lee

#36 ·
Saying there's no allergens in Texas is like saying there's no sand at the beach! 'grin' I live in East Texas and there is always an allergen lurking around waiting for the unwary (usually a zillion of them more likely).

I just started supplementing my senior dog (just turned 13) and was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices out there. I decided to just used the GNC for Pets line for senior dogs until I get more comfortable with what to give. It's the Ultra Mega Hip & Joint Health formula and contains Chon, Gluc, MSM, omega oils etc.

#39 ·
Sorry I missed this last page. What prompted me to start the oils was that Nikon had a reaction to something, but just in general my dogs are itchy this time of year when it's like 10-30 degrees, super dry, dry heat in the house, and our space heater is electric heat (so super dry). I use a special cream on my own skin 1-2 times a day and use body lotion in my hair this time of year. If Nikon's reaction was an allergy it was something environmental, possibly the Christmas tree. He's better now (and had a bunch of other tests ruling out other stuff like thyroid) but I'm still giving them the remaining oil for coat/skin maintenance. As far as I know he has no seasonal allergies, at least in 4.5 years he hasn't had any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.