Do Dogs Get Tired Of Eating The Same Food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Do Dogs Get Tired Of Eating The Same Food?

I wanted some opinions on whether you think dogs really do get tired of eating the same food? Of course eating the same food is better than not eating. I try to provide variety to the dogs who don't have food sensitivities everyday or at least several times per week.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Delgado has been eating Fromm LBP for 7 months straight now and he'll eat it by itself or with toppings without hesitation. He just likes food in general

Jazzy on the other hand is a very picky eater, she's skipped meals for three days straight before. Now I switch her between the Fromm four star line and she's skipped maybe two meals in the 7 months. She gets swapped every month and she likes the change.

I think it really depends on the dog and the food

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know, but I am having trouble getting Ruki to eat his food. I had him on Innova, and he just plain doesn't seem to like it. The only way he will eat it is if I top it with something. I tried Diamond food (which I know isn't good because of their history) and he literally spit the piece out that he tried. Once in desperation I let him try Beneful, and he loved it and ate it without anything on it, but I didn't feel good about him eating it. Maybe we will try Fromm next.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't think my dog even tastes it judging by the speed he gobbles it down. But I do switch up by mixing in meats and tripe, sometimes parmesan cheese.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I often tell people that eating a Big Mac and Fries, and nothing else, every day is great at first but what about when you get to day 5? Are you tired of it and are you getting all the health benefits from just ONE type of meal?
Here is a quote from Dr. Karen Becker: I often emphasize the importance of variety in the diets of cats and dogs, both in my practice and here at Mercola Healthy Pets. Just as humans benefit by eating a variety of foods, so do companion animals.

One very important reason for offering your pet nutritional variety is to help prevent food allergies. When the same food containing the same protein (especially if it is low quality, rendered protein) is fed day in and day out for months or years, intolerances often develop.

Many pet owners settle on an inexpensive commercial pet food their dog or cat seems to love, and they feed that food and only that food for long periods of time. Eventually, many of these pets develop sensitivities to certain ingredients in the food, often the low-grade protein source.

Even if you don't want to feed raw, your dog would really benefit from a small amount of raw meat daily (not high in fat). Using ground meat the size of a meat ball (like beef, chicken or turkey) or a raw chunk of meat cut thin and small with scissors and mix into the dry kibble, or just given as a treat would be great for them!

Rotation of good quality kibbles (with at least 3 meat sources in the top 6 ingredients, IMHO) is a good thing! Just introduce a new food very slowly so as not to cause gut distress. Let their stool be your guide!
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

No.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i don't think they get bored with their food once you
find something they like. i switch kibble often. i'll buy
a 40 lb bag. before the 40 lb bag is empty i'll buy 2 or
3 small bags of a different brand. this morning my dog
had Verus (kibble) with some baked chicken and strip steak.
for dinner he had Orijen with salmon oil squirted on it. i feed
my dog a variety of food with fresh toppings just in case
they do get bored with eating the same thing.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

you may have to switch food a few times before you
find some thing your dog likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyB View Post
I don't know, but I am having trouble getting Ruki to eat his food. I had him on Innova, and he just plain doesn't seem to like it. The only way he will eat it is if I top it with something. I tried Diamond food (which I know isn't good because of their history) and he literally spit the piece out that he tried. Once in desperation I let him try Beneful, and he loved it and ate it without anything on it, but I didn't feel good about him eating it. Maybe we will try Fromm next.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good question. Mine quit eating her food (Merick Before Grain) I think she decided she needed to diet! I started trying new foods, CA Natural and right now Innova Prairie or grain free, can't recall. She seems to like it enough. I top it with yogurt for breakfast and plain for dinner. Now that I think about it, she got picky once I started the yogurt, and wouldn't eat without it. She will eat the Innova without it.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I personally dont think Chief cares he just loves food and inhales it, but Smokey I can tell what foods he likes and doesnt like. He doesnt get tired of it if its something he likes if he dont like it he just sniff and pick at it like a kid with veggies. They are both loving the totw roasted fowl.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.