Dry Food - Best? Fromm, Science Diet, Eukanuba??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry Food - Best? Fromm, Science Diet, Eukanuba???

Igor was on Eukanuba when he was young then I switched to a medicated Royal Canine for adult dogs ith hip dysplasia (higher dosage of glucosamine and chondrotin).

Igor has been on Cosequin DS supplement for his hip displaysia (2 tablets a day) and Welactin Omega-3 fish oil supplement (2 capsules a day), both from Nutramax lab.

I then switched to Science Diet for German shepards as the content was not so different from RC but for a lower price. This month, I switched back to Eukanuba for senior dogs as I wanted to test for some chewing paws and red eyes he was having. No changes there and the Eukanuba has very small pieces which Igor seems to choke sometimes.

I am about to change his dry food as I did not like this Eukanuba. Someone told me about Fromm and its natural ingredients. Have you used that, do you recommend it and which one has the highest contents of glucosamine and chondrotin?

Any other suggestions for a great dry food for a 10 year old shepard with hip dysplasia?
Kaluig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use Fromm for both my dogs, currently LBP and I swap between their four star line grain free varieties for my poodle. I've been using it now for 8 months or so and absolutely would recommend it. My dogs have never been healthier, their coats are glossy and soft, and they never skip a meal (my poodle is a VERY picky eater).

My uncle has a GSD with severe HD and he was recommended by his vet to use Eukanuba, he's been doing well on it along with supplements but I personally don't like the ingredients, especially for that price.

You can contact Fromm with any inquiries and they'll answer back quickly.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Hi! I have used Fromm with my dogs. With the Cosequin and Welactin, I wouldn't worry so much about the added glucosamine and chondroitin and just look at the ingredients and what your dog does well on.

Fromm Family Foods Gourmet Dog & Cat Food, Naturally Holistic
That website takes a lot of clicking to get where you want to go! Let us know if you need help (it bugs me)!

There is also a great sticky in the Puppy Food section by Ken Clean-Air Systems and it has a spreadsheet with a ton of info.

My dogs right now are eating the Duck. I mix it with a grain-free food. The kibble size is not tiny, not big. I've also used the Salmon a la veg and that kibble is definitely tiny!

With a GSD chewing at the paws/red eyes, I would consider finding a formula of Fromm that did not have chicken.

I like the brand and the foods. My dogs do well on them by themselves or mixed with other things. The company is very good at getting back to you on questions too. I bet your dog will like the food.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

If I were to choose between the three you mentioned I would pick Fromm.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, thanks! I have never been part of a forum so responsive, everybody is just so helpful in here.

Regarding chicken, I give my dog free hormones, free antibiotic chicken which I mix with water and dry food. Is the chicken causing the chewing in his paws and red eyes? I used to give the rotisserie chicken from Walmart but then I decided to give him something healthier but it did not make a single difference to the chewing, licking paws and red eyes.

I have recenlty started to give him cooked meat, that one that comes in little stew pieces. I cooked in water with salt and mix it with dry food. Should I dump chicken all together then and by dry food w/o chicken in?

Last edited by Kaluig; 12-28-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Maybe take a break from the chicken, go with a chicken free kibble, and use a different kind of meat to add? See how that goes? Chicken has made 3 of my dogs itchy. Lamb too for some reason - no one seems to do well on that!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just wondering if anyone of you has heard about FreeHand Dog Food Grain Free Dog Food with Premium Ingredients | FreeHand Dog Food. I no doubt love what they are doing and would like to support their mission. But how is their food? Is it any good? Better than big brands?
LarryBoy1309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks again. I need to order Fromms for Igor but do not know which one to choose. I am looking at the ones w/o chicken or lamb, most has both! Looking at salmon and fish options, even them have chicken liver, chicken fat, chicken cartilage, something related to chicken!!! Which one (s) do not have any chicken or lamb in the Fromm's ingredients?

Grain-Free Beef Frittata Veg dog food - Fromm Family Foods
NO CHICKEN, has anyone used grain free beef frittata? This one has less qty and costs more!

Duck & Sweet Potato dog food - Fromm Family Foods
NO CHICKEN, has anyone used duck with sweet potato? I think I will try this one based on Jean's feedback.

Salmon La Veg dog food - Fromm Family Foods
NO CHICKEN, has anyone used the salmon a la veg? This one, Jean said the kibbles are small so probably is a no no for Igor.

Whitefish & Potato dog food - Fromm Family Foods
NO CHICKEN, has anyone used the whitefish with potato?

IGOR, a.k.a., Irwin von Hirten der Nacht
born on 02/19/02 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Why do you add salt? I would leave it out of the cooked food.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

hmmm, interesting, is salt bad for dogs? I thought it would just add some flavor or it would be blend. And I shred each piece when mixing with water in the dry food.

IGOR, a.k.a., Irwin von Hirten der Nacht
born on 02/19/02 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.