German Shepherds Forum banner

nature variety raw insane expensive for a gsd

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  RedR327 
#1 ·
I wanted to try this after reading about it online I wanted to try the rabbit. Anyways I went to the store and after he found out my dog was 90lbs he was like oh no thats going to come to like 40 dollars every 3 days! Thats insane!!! How on earth could they make a food so expensive??? :eek::eek::eek:

He looked at the cheapest raw they had was like 33 dollars every 3 days but that was some crappy brand and chicken.

I was just interested in feeding the rabbit with peas and fruit raw but at that price wow I wish i was rich.

#3 ·
I give it to my dogs as a treat a couple times a week. It is expensive, so I don't give it as the main meal. My dogs love the bison.

#4 ·
We have an 85 lb GSD and also feed the NV Raw. Yes, insanely expensive. We alternate it with raw from MyPetCarnivore.com. Because of the amount of food she eats per month I went and talked with a small pet store here in town. She beat everyone's price on the NV and in return she gets a huge sale every month. Maverick does really well on that food so it is worth it for us!

#5 ·
I feed NV Raw too and it is insanely expensive. Thankfully my pet store offers 10% discount every so often on food and I clip coupons for $10 off on purchases over $75. I intend to go raw by buying the meat in bulk but i have yet to go that route. I know it will save me money but I got to admit, time is scarce for me to sit down and chop, weigh, and bag.

#6 ·
40 dollars every 3 days " for good rabbit vs "33 dollars every 3 days " for "crappy brand and chicken".

That's only $7.00 difference over 3 days which is $2.33 per day .

Go to the market place and price rabbit per pound , vs chicken . Mostly ground chicken is the non-commercial remains after the white breast meat , legs and wings are removed . Rabbit , that would not be the case , it would be the entire carcass so all expenses and profits need to be realized .

#7 · (Edited)
thanks all I wanted it to keep my dogs teeth in good shape I wonder if just 1 pattie a day is good enough with the kibble or something.

digestive issues are pretty decent

the chopping and weight is insane lol carmspack you need your own raw food line and bone line and tarter control lines lol

I would buy your food

#8 ·
It takes me probably 2 hours every two months or so to package and put away my raw order. Everything goes in ziploc bags for my chest freezer... a couple turkey necks a bag, fill a bag a little over half way with veal brisket bone chopped into 5-6 inch chunks, pork ribs, one whole beef heart per bag, one whole liver per bag, etc - it's really not as difficult as you'd think. My orders are usually 200-300 lbs in one go. I don't find it time consuming at all. I defrost a few days worth of meat at a time, store it in a big container in my fridge, and spend about 5 mins per meal preparing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.