Nature's Domain at Costco - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Nature's Domain at Costco

I've re-read a couple of pages worth of the old thread titles and just wondered if anyone has recent updates on this food?

The stuff that the vet sold us (Royal Canin prescription duck and potato) seems to be working so far, we're slowly working up to 2/3 of it and 1/3 of brown rice and venison. So far we haven't woken up to a diarrhea mess in the house. So I suspect that he either A) developed a food allergy almost overnight, or B) they changed an ingredient and we didn't catch it.

So does anyone have a recent feeling for how it measures up to the other grain-free foods?
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Our (allergic) dogs do fine on it. It's cheaper than Natural Balance.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah the vet food was $17 for a 7.7 pound bag...I'm thinking it might be a good option if I can get him to actually eat it.

My brother owns a German Shorthair kennel and they've switched all their dogs to this so I can "borrow" a zip-top bag full to see if he'll eat it.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids
Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

We just started our guy on this food tonight to hopefully help with his constantly runny nose and itchy skin. At our Costco it was $33 for $35lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

We use this brand the salmon/potato..our dogs are half kibble/half raw since i cant afford to be full raw anymore on 4 gsds.
Diesel-GSD
Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kind of depends on your reasons for feeding grain-free.

If your dog has a grain-allergy or intolerance and Nature's Domain fits in your budget better than the other grain-free's, go for it.

If you're feeding it because you have an idea that grain-free is better for dogs or more natural, this food isn't that great because it has a LOT of starch filler, which I promise isnt any healthier than grain filler. And you're paying more than you'd pay for a comparable grain-inclusive food because of the grain-free label.

If you're feeding grain-free because you want your dog to have more meat protein, look at a different food. This food is quite low in protein for a grain-free food.

If you're trying out different foods that are in your price range because your dog has dietary problems and you're trying to find something he will do well on, go for it.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Well, the Royal Canin that the vet sold us is potato duck grain free and he not only is doing extremely well on it, but acts like it's the best thing he's ever seen--this from a dog that I've had to hand feed over the years quite often just to get him to eat 1/2 the time.

So given the diarrhea on the other food which had a lot of grains in it and the way he's responded to this food, I'm leaning grain free for him. However, we've been transitioning him from brown rice and browned venison (or burger, or elk or chicken) so this morning it was 3 cups of the Royal Canin and a cup of the rice/meat mix. So he's not going completely grain free, I'm just controlling exactly which grain he gets.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Two great skin kids
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

decent food, basically the same as Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream in a different bag with 5 pounds more for ten dollars less. Its made by Diamond who also makes TOTW. Very similar ingredients. My 3 year old GS does great on it, his coat is very soft and his poops are solid.
Kyad02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

These foods use either manufactured "potato protein" or "pea protein".

These two stealth proteins can represent half the protein in the food because they are so concentrated. Both Fromm and Earthborn do this as well.

Some of the better foods with rice/corn/oats/barley have much higher levels of animal protein because grains are pretty low in protein.

Pea Protein and Potato Protein are no different than Corn Gluten, except Corn Gluten is generally used in much lower amounts in food and has been used for much longer so there is more experience with it.

Even though Nature's Domain is cheap for a GF food, it is not as good technically as a plain Chicken & Rice food.

The best high value grain free on the market is Victor.

Last edited by RedR327; 12-24-2012 at 08:37 AM.
RedR327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.