Need your kibble suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Need your kibble suggestions

Hoping you guys can help.

My 7 month female seems to have a sensitive tummy. Her poop tends to be very loose. When I took her in to be spayed the vets put her on a food that was easy to digest and it seemed to work well for her, but I don't like feeding vet diets. They are inconvenient to get and I also am not confident that they are made with high quality ingredients.

I had her on Orijen LB puppy, then Orijen 6 Fish. I've tried Acana Pacifica, which was better, but not great. I just decided to try Fromm's LB puppy, it's worse than anything. Her farting woke me up last night from the stink! Oh my word!

Can you guys make some suggestions for a high quality kibble that tends to be easier to digest? Something appropriate for a growing dog?

I'm frustrated, it's one thing after another with her!

Thanks!

PS. raw is not an option, my sister is on immunosuppressants and I don't have a lot of time to prep the food.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Have you ruled out anything medical? I've had dogs with digestive issues come up negative on the regular giardia test but then positive on the giardia antigen test, which seems to be more accurate, so that may be something to consider. Worms? Coccidia? SIBO?

Have you tried any supplements? I've used the B-Naturals Digestion blend when Keefer had giardia and SIBO.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Have you been able to narrow down what it is that she is sensitive to? What kind of ingredients did the food you got from the vet have that the others didn't? You may want to try a LID food like California Naturals with the same protein source that was in the food that your vet gave you.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Try a digestive enzyme that is geared towards the ingredients in the food
Protease for protein
lipase for fat
cellulase for plants
amalyse for starch
etc.

You can search an animal specific one so you can dose according to weight.

Omega Alpha has a d-zyme/probiotic formula, you could PM Carmspack (Carmen), she has a line that would help.

Could also try a tsp-tblsp (depending on her tastes) of "raw" organic apple cider vinegar...if the gut is too alkaline then the foods won't break down
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 12-12-2012 at 10:03 AM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll probably get jumped on for this but have you tried a less expensive kibble? My Buddy has a really sensitive stomach and he does well with Natures Recipe, easy to digest. They have a couple of different formulas so I can switch him back and forth occasionally to give him a little change.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ok, I might try the ACV, Gator. Although it seems like the food broke down...a little too much, if you ask me.

Cassidy's - shes' always had this issue, since I've had her. When I got her from the breeder she was on raw and had normal poop, but on the diet change after bringing her home, it quickly changed. When I brought her home from spaying (after being on the vet diet for one day) she again had a totally normal poop, but once again it changed after I got her back on the food I have.

Because of the loose poop, when she was about 3 months old, one of her littermates tested positive for coccidia (new owners had let it play in a stream) so while it was unlikely that my pup had been exposed, I tested her for that and giardia to be safe and it came back negative. However, we did treat her for it, just to be safe. It had no effect on her poops. We didn't do that extra test that you mentioned, I just don't suspect that's the cause, because the medication didn't help at all.

Ok, is that B-naturals supplement available at pet stores, or is it a vet thing?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Seriously, the farting last night was horrible. I had to do a reverse Dutch Oven and hide under the comforter to get away from the stink.

Poor muffin!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with the enzymes, they helped my boy tremendously. Yogurt is also a great option. Try a LID, as someone said... my boy had serious food allergies that manifested themselves both in skin issues and digestive issues, and grain-free fixed them. We feed Pinnacle LID Turkey and Potato or Duck and Potato (he's also allergic to lamb, chicken, and beef), he's a picky eater and it's the only thing that's stuck. Good luck! Food problems can be so stressful.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did you switch her all at once? Even with gradual switches, my dog had some STINKERS for a day or two. Also, be sure to not over feed at each meal--this can cause loose and runny stool too.

You might see if this is available in your area:Pioneer Naturals Grain Free Venison

I just switched my pup over to it and he loves it. LOVES IT. Like can't get enough. He was on Orijen adult before and did super on it, but he just never wanted to eat it. Anyhow, so far so good.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our dog did pretty well on Solid Gold Wolfcub (bison based), Royal Canin GSD, and Nature's Variety. She does best on raw based foods like The Honest Kitchen (dehydrated) and Nature's Variety raw.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.