Need your kibble suggestions - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I'll probably get jumped too, but Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach can be "magical" for GI issue dogs.

If you just cannot stand the thought of Purina California Natural makes a herring and sweet potato that many swear by and Nature's Variety Prairie has a salmon and brown rice. Both are more $$ but since you've been feeding Orijen I'm going to assume that isn't an issue for you.

But, since I've already exposed myself for jumping I will say that I hear much more "miracle cure" type chatter about the Purina SS&S.

Also- I have a cranky tummy old guy and I use this product to help him out:
Amazon.com: Vetri-Mega Probiotic (120 Caps): Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Vetri-Mega Probiotic (120 Caps): Pet Supplies

Last edited by GrammaD; 12-12-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: get rid of an extraneous d
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm mixing the Fromm's & Acana right now.

Ok, thanks for those suggestions, it's a lot of trial and error I suppose. Especially since I'm not sure what she's sensitive to.

Maybe I'll give a LID a try.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[QUOTE=blackshep;2653547]I'm mixing the Fromm's & Acana right now.

Ok, thanks for those suggestions, it's a lot of trial and error I suppose. Especially since I'm not sure what she's sensitive to.

Maybe I'll give a LID a try.[/QUOTE]

If you do, watch out for the amount of sweet potato - that made our dog stink and her poops had a terrible, sweet potato odor to them. That is why we used the Nature's variety. It has tapioca and/or pea for the starch. No sweet potato.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

[quote=Gretchen;2653574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post

Maybe I'll give a LID a try.[/QUOTE]

If you do, watch out for the amount of sweet potato - that made our dog stink and her poops had a terrible, sweet potato odor to them. That is why we used the Nature's variety. It has tapioca and/or pea for the starch. No sweet potato.
DO NOT feed tapioca - toxic

The levels that could be reached in a "no grain" tapioca-based pet food could certainly reach dangerous levels. Levels of hydrogen cyanide above 100 parts per million (ppm) in a finished food are considered unacceptable. In a "no grain" formulated pet food, depending upon the type and amount of tapioca used, levels in a typical formula could reach over 1026.3 mg/kg, or 718.85 ppm! The minimal lethal dosage in humans is about 50-60mg. A 60 lb. dog eating an average amount of a "no-grain" tapioca-based pet food could be ingesting 17.6 mg of hydrogen cyanide per day. Considering that this dog is about one third the weight of an average human, on a per weight basis it would be receiving 52.8 mg (3 X 17.6 mg) of hydrogen cyanide, which is within the lethal dose (50-60 mg) range. Even if this calculation is on the high side, lower hydrogen cyanide levels would at the least put the animal at risk of chronic toxicity.

Holistic Dog and Cat Food, Healthy Pet Food Health & Nutrition: Tapioca in Pet Food
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:

Right now you have done a lot of trial and error. Now it would be good to sit down with the ingredient lists of all the foods (inluding the one the doctor gave you) and look for what is "different"

I did that to find out one dog just can't handle flax

My attitude towards kibble is the amount of carbs needed to hold together any kibble for cooking is not "natural" I actually soak my food and add digestive enzymes before I feed it......it seems it digests better and no gas.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

I made a complete switch to Fromm over 4 months ago. Honestly don't recall a fart since then.

The transition from Acana (culprit) to Fromm may not be complete. Maybe continue with the switch, and wait until your dog is on Fromm exclusively before doing anything else.

One mistake that many of us have made, is switching foods, then expecting immediate results. Give it time.

Fromm worked great for me. Her coat is stunning, and she hasn't had a loose stool since switching.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

blackshep, you might PM beauceron I think it was? She did extensive research into tapioca for their dogs and found it to be extremely safe and actually a very good starch to use. I had a site bookmarked with excellent studies and information, then DH built our new computer and lost all of mine. Grrr.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Too late to edit so

Here is a link to a forum where this is discussed, the very first post contains a research paper discussing cassava and the cyanogenic compounds, which are REMOVED when tapioca is used in pet foods. It's lengthy, but you can skim and find the basic essence. An Error Has Occurred!

Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Crap, the link didn't work. Oops.

Here it is again: An Error Has Occurred!

Weird, it's working, it just has that weird name on the link?! If you click, it should work and take you to the site. It did me.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Rocket, the link works. I'll read that, thanks! I always thought tapioca was a really good choice, I had no idea that it might be toxic?

Anthony, I think Fromm is a fantastic food, but she definitely got a lot worse on it even being mixed in. I'm going to call my vet's office today and see what formula they gave her and see the differences b/w that and the Orijen/Acana.

I'm assuming Orijen and Acana are using fairly similar ingredients, so that might explain why both of those aren't working.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.