New future owner of a GSD, need advice on food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New future owner of a GSD, need advice on food

I'm doing some food research for my future GSD that I will be getting in the summer and I just have some questions.

I have a cat that I rescued from a shelter, he was fed on Science diet and they told me to put only 1/4 cup in twice a day, but he was always whining and crying so I did some research saying maybe if he had a higher quality food he'll eat less but be more full and I put him on grain-free halo food and the 1/4 cup was completely enough for him even to leave a bit to eat later.

So I was wondering, does the same apply to GSDs? I talked to some owners who're feeding their dogs 4-5 cups on Iams, Purina, Royal Canine, and Eukanuba which from what I know all have some sort of grain or by product in it. I also had a friend who adopted a GSD from a shelter and she said they were told to only feed 1/4 cup of pedigree twice a day (which I was very skeptical about since it didn't seem enough but maybe their cups were different).
So if I feed were to feed the dog something like Wellness Core, EVO or FROMM would I feed them less than 4 cups because it's higher in protein? Is there a way I can control the dogs food consumption so I don't over feed? How do I know if it's had enough, I know some animals would just eat and eat if you let them.
SwaF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd start with the amount on the bag and then watch the dogs weight/waist line and adjust from there. You would want to feed enough to keep the dog healthy yet lean and have a slight waistline. You don't want straight lines from head to tail on a dog as it means they are overweight. A nice curve indent around their waist/stomach/hip area but not so much as to see a ton of ribs. GSD's shouldn't carry extra weight as it can affect their joints/hips. We feed a mix of raw/kibble. (Zeus-95lbs 2cups kibble/2lbs raw, Lexi 80lbs-1.5 cups kibble/1lb raw, Kimber 70lbs-1.5cups kibble 1lb raw, Diesel 37lbs (14wks) 1cup kibble 3x a day/ 1/2lb raw at 1 of the meals.)
Diesel-GSD
Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I was thinking about that, thanks for confirming it.
SwaF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think you feed less of the higher quality foods not because of the protein but because they have more calories per cup. Typically higher fat - because protein and carbs have about the same amount of calories.

Obviously, dogs are designed to feed on a low carb diet but grain free foods simply present the same carbohydrates in another fashion [peas and potatoes]. Carbs are needed to hold kibbles together.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.