Itching like crazy so switching foods.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Itching like crazy so switching foods..

So we are switching Duke's food from Kirkland Lamb dog food to Grain free Salmon & Sweet potato. He has continued to itch like crazy all the time since trying him on that Chicken Kirkland dog food, since then we went back to the lamb & vegetable which is he was on for yrs but he just will not stop itching no matter what we do. We have tried Coconut oil and he does not have fleas. So I figure even if its not the food that's making him itch its still a good idea to go grain free right ? So now I need to look for grain free treats. Meanwhile to comfort him a little the vet said to give him Benadryl.
Gyggles1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

He could very well be allergic to an environmental allergen rather than or in addition to a food ingredient. Have you thought of having an allergy panel done? Dr. Jean Dodds has a new one that just uses 2 millilters of saliva and looks very good. It is called Nutriscan if I remember correctly.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

It could also be dry air.
I'd keep the food the same but add salmon oil in a pump like Grizzly salmon oil.
Only 10% of dog allergies are to foods.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been dealing with constant itchiness with my Emma, and have yet to determine the cause. We've tried many different foods, seen the vet several times... Nothing seems to help. I don't think it's environmental for us since it is consistent throughout the year. My understanding is that the scratching would be seasonal, or more prominent certain times of year if it were enviro. Have not tried supplements or salmon oil...I'll look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Litz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh hmmmm I didn't see this before we went to get new food / treats but so far he is responding well to the gradual switch and isn't itching as much either.. when I talked to the health food dog store she said many dogs that have allergies are food related - maybe she just wanted to sell me food IDK.

We have him gradually eating Salmon & Sweet Potato grain free as well as treats. I was giving him fish oil until we gave him this food then kind of stopped thinking it might be over kill to use the oil too again IDK but something seems to be working.

I should still look into that allergy test, I will ask my vet about that I am surprised they didn't mention or offer it.
Gyggles1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've had major issues with Piper and allergies. I had an allergy test done and it listed all the things he was allergic to which helped in finding new food. For instance he is allergic to chicken so I can buy no treats or food with chicken. As far as treats go I give him duck jerky which works very well. I've been adding fish oil into his food which also seems to be helping with his itching problem. It's been a long road to find what works but you'll get there.
nlsst9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.