Fish oil? What do you use? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

Vitamin E can be depleted by higher doses of EFA's

I supplement 400 iu of vit E daily- should have mentioned that in my initial post
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
After trying to keep Grizzly salmon oil in the fridge and having the smell, and mess (pump action is cool but can be messy) we went with Costco's human salmon oil.

Not sure about Vit. E with it.
How many mgs daily?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know...they are the human pills so I give them each 1 a day. I want to say 1200 mg. but that may be wrong.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

i alternate between the nutria vet salmon oil and also the costco coconut oil.and daily vitamin E 400 iu...the only problem i have had is my boy does not really like to eat the coconut oil lol
arizona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

What is the reason for the oil supplements? Is it just for coat, or can it help with itchiness as well? Do you give the oils year round, or only in winter cold climates? Thanks.

Litz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litz View Post
What is the reason for the oil supplements? Is it just for coat, or can it help with itchiness as well? Do you give the oils year round, or only in winter cold climates? Thanks.

Coat, skin, eyes, brain, heart, joints, etc. I give year round...

Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The newest Whole Dog Journal has an article with information on giving fish oil and it is recommended to give sardines once or twice a week instead of daily supplementing with gelcaps or squirting the oil on food. For a 100# dog it was recommended to be given 1 3/4 cans per week. I've been giving gel caps but think I'll do the sardines(I feed raw)
The article was about dietary fat in commercial dog food, but touched on this.
It was written by Steve Brown who is a researcher of canine nutrition.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sunflowers , you don't need sunflower oil , which is high in omega 6 - linoleic acid , but does have some alpha tocopherol , one of the isomers of vitamin E . Vitamin E has 8 isomers , alpha ,beta, delta and gamma tocopherol and alpha , beta, delta and gamma tocotrienol . Apparently there is a new isomer of Vitamin E found in Styrian pumpkin seed oil , from a special pumpkin grown in Austria and Slovenia. At the market we have a rep from Styrian Gold every Saturday Pumpkin Seeds Nutrition - Pumpkin Seed Oil - Styrian Gold.

Coconut - some are better than others . The one I use has been tested out to have lauric acid content as high as 60% - It is the lauric acid which provides the anti microbial, anti fungal, anti viral , anti bacterial, anti protozoal activity.
Krill oil does have anti oxidant astaxanthin --- but a better source is "the source" Chlorella, split wall chlorella , and spirulina . This is a powerful anti oxidant. Plus the two marine greens I have mentioned also have digestible proteins and anti oxidant zeaxanthin, plus trace minerals , plus lutein, plus, plus plus.

Your Vitamin E , not necessary Sunflowers , got that covered and then some in the new oil. Vitamin needs to be whole and complex , not sythetic , not an isolate alpha tocopherol .

Looks at the powder supplements and you will see sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and spirulina -- you are covered !!
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

just had a phone call from my source for fish oil -- direct source , not a broker , and they said that the price of fish oil is increased by 20% due to reduced stock this year and increased demands by "aqua-feeds" , all the users for oils and fish flesh.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
The newest Whole Dog Journal has an article with information on giving fish oil and it is recommended to give sardines once or twice a week instead of daily supplementing with gelcaps or squirting the oil on food. For a 100# dog it was recommended to be given 1 3/4 cans per week. I've been giving gel caps but think I'll do the sardines(I feed raw)
The article was about dietary fat in commercial dog food, but touched on this.
It was written by Steve Brown who is a researcher of canine nutrition.
If I could find sardines or mackerel that wasn't from China I would gladly do it. It's even hard in the smaller cans (4 oz) that I give my cat daily.

What brands do you feed? Crown Prince used to be processed in Morocco but now it's all China except some of the small cans and my animals refuse to eat the Aldi's sardines.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.