I found a source for live kefir grains! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default I found a source for live kefir grains!

Very excited to have found this.

Now I can make my own Kefir!

Cultures -
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kefir is excellent -- I have kefir grains - could have sent you some . At market there is a Russian lady that gave me "the mother" to make new batches just like you would have a "mother" for sour dough bread . I am lucky to be able to get my hands on raw goat milk (for pets!) which makes the best batches.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

i just buy the kind in the organic section Kefir | LIBERTÉ - Plain Kefir - Plain Kefir I thought this was good enough.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

it is very good .
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Nice find. They also have sprouting lids which have been in short supply recently for some reason. They have kits at whole foods but all kinds of money for cheap mason jars did not make sense. We use a stainelss sink strainer (the kind that fits in your drain) for our kefir grains.

I honestly don't "think" there is any difference between water kefir grains, milk kefir grains, and goats milk kefir grains.......maybe I am wrong. You can put the kefir grains in any of the above.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jocoyn I had not heard of using kefir in water?? Kefir is a form of living yeast and bacteria which all started from an "Eve" strain so they are all in some way related .
The kefir needs to have some sugar , naturally present in dairy , to feed on themselves . The closer it comes to being natural milk the better -- whole fat -- see if you can get unhomogenized whole organic milk -- folks in the Toronto GTA are lucky to have this available Organic Meadow - Our Products Organic Milk Unhomogenized Whole Organic Milk
at Nature's Emporium or Whole Foods or Ambrosia . I am lucky to have raw goat milk available direct from the farmer, this and the goat whey for puppies first feeds. (can provide contact infor for local dog owners - product is SOLD for animal use ) Once you have tried unhomogenized milk , like the bottles that were delivered to your doorstep where the cream would rise, will never go back to homogenized. A bio chemist that I spent time with said you can pretty well pinpoint homogenization taking over as the industry standard and the rise of diabetes . ??? This was his area of research.
The one milk you don't want to use is the ultra pasteurized shelf stable tetra packs.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have not made this but had heard about it and it was mentioned on the site. My comment was I think they *all* come from the same grains. We prefer to make with raw milk which is, fortunately, still legal to purchase in our state.! My younger daughter was weaned onto raw goats milk because she could not tolerate cows milk. We used to drive way into the country to buy it for her direct from the veterinarian who had a small herd.

Water Kefir: How to Brew Water Kefir

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

wow - new one on me , do see the raisins in there to provide the sugars source. Kombucha I know -- can taste a little too acidic or sour.
You can buy raw milk legally ? Wow. We have this Michael Schmidt appeals convictions for raw-milk cow-share program | Posted Toronto | National Post There are friends of mine in that picture . I know the farmers family .
Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Raw Milk Laws and Regulations in South Carolina - Real Raw Milk Facts

Don't get me wrong; this is an "anti" raw milk site but it is good to know where the other side is coming from.

We usually buy from here. Not raw not organic but a lot closer and not homognized. We have been out there with the grandkids.

http://www.happycowcreamery.com/

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-02-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Kefir is excellent -- I have kefir grains - could have sent you some . .
Thank you.

I used to know of a raw milk source. It was hush-hush. I never used it. Looking into local sources here. Meantime, I am going to use goat milk when it arrives.

And, yes, pets4life, you can purchase it and it is very good.
I just happen to love making things from scratch and spending time in the kitchen.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.