Wow - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Exclamation Wow

So I posted a thread awhile back about this food, no one had tons to say about it. Rocket does very well on Orijen Adult, but has never loved it. Eats barely enough to get by. He is 17 months.

Yesterday, they had a 14lb bag of this food and I decided to give it a try. I still want to contact the company to see if I can get info on how much of it (% wise) is the meat meal. He had two servings yesterday and two today (mixed with the Orijen) and -------

WOW. He RAN to the laundry room today when I got his food bowl both times, pushed his nose in the way, sat and licked his chops while I was dishing. He was DROOLING. He just ate his dinner in about 2 minutes, (maybe three, but the point is ALL AT ONCE AND NOT BEGRUDGINGLY) which he has NEVER done. Just now, as I was typing this, he came back and licked his bowl. This has never happened.

I really hope he does well on this food. If anyone has anything to offer about the ingredients, ----- CARMEN, ARE YOU LISTENING? --- I would love to hear it. It's made in the USA, never had a recall.

Ingredients
Venison Meal, Yams, Freeze Dried Sweet Potato, Freeze Dried Pumpkin, Blueberries, Bok Choy, Zucchini, Squash, Kale, Freeze Dried Papaya, Cranberries, Freeze Dried Chia, Parsley, Inulin, Enzymes: (Amylase, Protease, Cellulase, Pectinase, Lipase, Phytase, Xylanese, Hemicellulase, Alpha-galactosidase, Invertase), Probiotics (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bacillus Subtillus Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Kelp, Parsley, Artichoke, Salmon / Herring Oil. Vitamins (Dl-methione, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamone Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Calcium Pantothenate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acids Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acids Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acids Chelate).

Analysis:

% Basis
Crude Protein(min) 28

Fat (min) 14

Fiber(max) 4

Moisture(max) 10

Ash 7.33
Calcium 1.49
Phosphorus 1.07

Carbohydrates (min)

Vitamins
Carotene MG/KG 1.40

Vitamin A IU/KG 13235

Vitamin D IU/KG 974
Vitamin E IU/KG 125
Vitamin K MG/KG 0.94
Ascorbic Acid MG/KG 50
Thiamine MG/KG 17.05
Riboflavin MG/KG 8.52

Pantothenic Acid MG/KG 21.92
Biotin MG/KG 0.54
Folic Acid MG/KG 0.44
Choline MG/KG 3058
Vitamin B12 MG/KG 0.09
Vitamin B6 MG/KG 5.4
Niacin MG/KG 68.38

Iodine MG/KG 3.7

Amino Acids
Methionine-Cystine .937
Methionine 0.577
Cystine 0.25
Lysine 1.26
Tryptophan 0.24
Threonine 1.02
Isoleucine 1
Histidine 0.53
Valine 1.58
Leucine 2.52
Arginine 1.32
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine .92

Taurine 0.036

Minerals
Sodium 0.36
Potassium 0.63
Chlorine 0.61
Magnesium 0.279
Sulfur 0.2585
Manganese MG/KG 91
Iron MG/KG 422

Copper MG/KG 12.03
Zinc MG/KG 251.64
Selenium MG/KG 0.5171

Essential Fatty Acids: Omega 3 1.97%,Omega 6 0.3985 % and Arachidonic Acid .0736%

ME KCAL/Cup 434
ME KCAL/LB 1737

Link:

Pioneer Naturals Grain Free Venison

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

It has 5 stars according to Pioneer Naturals Grain Free Dog Food | Review and Rating So apparently not that bad. This might also answer your concerns.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could also be that he likes something new. I would imagine dogs, too, get tired of eating the same thing all the time Glad he chowed down so enthusiastically. It is very satisfying when they do that.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, he refuses samples at the local pet store (the one where we get his food, she only carries high quality) all the time. They laugh at his pickiness.

We've been looking for something for quite a while, and I've brought lots and lots of samples home. He wouldn't even TOUCH the Honest Kitchen stuff, doesn't care for Orijen's Regional Red, or Six Fish (better than RR but not that great) Wellness Core, and many, many others that I can't remember.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just wanted to check in, now that it's been almost a week. We are 2/3'rds through the bag of this, (it was a 14# er) and he is still loving it. Just sat at my feet in the laundry room while I was scooping it out for breakfast, didn't even sniff at the fresh cold water I just put down for him after he came in. Just had eyes for the food, and he's standing here chewing, and EATING IT ALL.

His poops took a couple days to become more normal, they were kind of soft even though we mixed his food. I hope his coat stays as nice as it did on Orijen, because he still really LOVES THIS FOOD. In his (almost) 18 months, he's never ever liked a food like this.

Any other thoughts on the nutrient profile, as in vitamins etc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.