Looking for another food option - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for another food option

Hello,
Our 9 year old boy Chance is currently eating canine caviar lamb and millet for am feeding and The Honest Kitchen Thrive topped with fresh chicken for dinner. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the Canine Caviar? I have been looking for another dry food for him to try that is higher protein and if possible at a lower price point. He seems to do best on dry foods with more limited ingredients and no potato. Any suggestions?
ChanceNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

If you switch dry kibbles, be careful of the quality. Some pet food companies add different things to raise the protein levels. Feathers are protein!
If you want high quality and to really KNOW what protein your baby is eating, I would add additional meat to the HK.
Here is the recipe for mixing additional meat with HK from Kat Pennik at The Honest Kitchen: For every 1 dry cup of Thrive, Love or Embark, you can add ½-1 cup of meat. Then, to compensate for the meat, you will want to reduce the dry mix by ¼ - ½ cup. I have attached some information that may be of help. Here is an example: 5 cups of Thrive + 2.5 cups of meat – 1.25 cups Thrive = 3.75 cups Thrive (dry) and 2.5 cups of meat per day.

Hope this helps!
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am feeding a rotation on Nature's Logic and have been for about 6 months. I am very pleased. I talked to several who really like the food before I went that route and it rates well on several review sites. Buying from chewy.com

It is similar in price-about the same for chicken and beef but higher for more "exotic" meats. Also Hormone free - millet is the grain - no flax - no added synthetic vitamins. Protein ranges from 32% to 38%. Nature's Logic is manufactured at the same site that makes Victor. The claim is lamb, venison, and beef are grass fed and the chicken, duck and rabbit are fed vegetarian foods and are hormone and antibiotic free. I have been quite pleased. I think he only uses enough millet to hold it together because it dissolves very quickly in water and is very well digested.

Nature's Logic

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceNY View Post
Hello,
Our 9 year old boy Chance is currently eating canine caviar lamb and millet for am feeding and The Honest Kitchen Thrive topped with fresh chicken for dinner. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the Canine Caviar? I have been looking for another dry food for him to try that is higher protein and if possible at a lower price point. He seems to do best on dry foods with more limited ingredients and no potato. Any suggestions?
Anyone that claims his food prevents cancer is a fraud.

I would try Dr. Tim's.
WilsonRandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for the suggestions I've looked at the Nature's Logic before maybe I'll finally give it a try. I also looked at Nutrisource grain free and have tried it with my chihuahuas but it seems to be very pea heavy
Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

And if you need feathers for more protein, I have two parrots ... I would love to have a place to send those feathers to instead of clogging my vaccum cleaner all the time! HA HA HA
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

by the way.....does anyone have any reviews on the Nutrisource grain free chicken or lamb with the dogs? I still have a large bag left over from my chihuahuas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.