Best foods ... for newborns-8 weeks! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily
Default Best foods ... for newborns-8 weeks!

I spend a LOT of time at a local holistic type pet store, and other local pet stores to be honest. A woman I befriended raises German Shepherds, and we got to talking about... Our dogs ( adults) are on grain free food ( Nutri-Source for me but hoping Canidae gets their act together, and she feeds Wilderness).

She said she has had so many issues finding a GOOD food for new litters. Of course it's Mom Milk at first, and then usually she tries to start them on canned and then dry, but would prefer NOT to use a cheaper food because it works for them. Is there a grain-free food that you can feed to new puppies that is safe in all aspects? We discussed the Calcium/Phosphorous levels, and how most Grain Free isn't even good for a GROWING dog, so the only thing I could come up with was that Canidae and Nutri-Source seem to be OK in that sense, but what about everything else? Any input? I told her I would ask on here because I am way less knowledgeable on the subject. She also wasn't aware that LOTS of companies send puppy packets of samples/coupons for breeders! Heck, I don't breed and knew that, but I guess that only helps her if she finds the right food.

If not Grain-Free, then corn and wheat free? She currently uses Pedigree ;(

~ Cullen Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Black/Red Male : 12/16/09

~ Panzer Vom Sandstranden, Purebred GSD, Sable Female : 11/29/10

~ Gizmo , Amstaff, Brindle/White Female : 5/5/2000
VaBeachFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We feed Canidae Grain Free to our adult dogs, but our puppies have NEVER (no matter which litter) done good on Canidae, either Grain Free or regular Canidae. It is just too rich for them. So we feed all our pups Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover Soul Large Breed Puppy with great results! All our litters do great on it. No issues. If we keep a pup back, we normally don't switch him/her to Canidae Grain Free till closer to a year.
GSDBESTK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I start pups on baby cereal and goats milk....transition to goats milk, raw ground meats....adding either cottage cheese, yogurt at least once a day...also use Puppy Gold supplement for babies and mom while nursing....I eventually transistion to kibble - I like Fromm Puppy Gold or Earthborn - I used Candidae a long time ago and no one did well or liked it....used to use Eagle Pack before it was sold and became Holistic Select - don't like it now....use Blue Buffalo and Earthborn for adults, would consider Fromm next choice

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Dispute what all the folks on here will say, Royal Canin Maxi Starter is a good kibble to transition with - kibble size is good and pups like it. You can feed it until 8 weeks, afterwards, transition to Maxi Puppy or some other premium kibble.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

We've usually just used softened Kirkland puppy, if they are orphans we sprinkle puppy formula (Just Born) on the food when we add the hot water.
If very small, we use Wee Bits by Solid Gold.
We've also used Blue Buffalo puppy formula - not grain free as I liked the grain formula better on the label.

Royal Canin uses wheat and corn, we avoid those ingredients to try to keep allergies at bay.
Quote:
wheat gluten, corn,
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to VaBeachFamily Send a message via Yahoo to VaBeachFamily

Sounds good... if the puppies could stomach Canidae grain free, would it be OK in terms of nutrition for them?

Fromm Puppy, I know only ONE place around carries Fromm, never really looked into it. I don't know her stand on Diamond, but that would keep me from Chicken Soup and Kirkland. I was walking around with her reading labels and saw a few puppy foods that were corn/wheat free, didn't remember what the safe calcium/phosphorous level was to tell her though, so I was just kinda dumbfounded

Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Chicken Soup and Kirkland are all manufactured by Diamond. For what it is worth, Royal Canin creates their kibble based on nutritional needs during stage development. I would not start puppies on a grain free kibble unless you were going strictly raw. JMO
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I personally have never used Royal Canin, but my sister has because that is what her Pug was on when she brought him home. She switched eventually, but she used it for some time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.