German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   What kinds of foods are good for dogs? (Not talking about kibble) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/194646-what-kinds-foods-good-dogs-not-talking-about-kibble.html)

Cstout 11-18-2012 10:00 PM

What kinds of foods are good for dogs? (Not talking about kibble)

I know that there are some foods that dogs can absolutely not have (like chocolate) and some that are ok as training tools (like cheese). But, what can I give Stark that would be beneficial in addition to his kibble? And, how do I decide what he needs? Basically Im just asking for a list of foods that I can add to his kibble, how they benefit his health and how often I could/should add these foods. Thanks so much!

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 11-18-2012 10:06 PM

I highly recommend buying this:
Enhancing Commercial Diets

1sttimeforgsd 11-18-2012 10:07 PM

I mix a little wet food (from can) in with my babies kibble. It makes it a little more appetizing for them and with different varieties it does not get boring to them. I don't know if there are any benefits to adding wet food to it but I do know that mine will eat it better with the wet added in.

vicky2200 11-19-2012 01:56 AM

Vegetables: green beans, carrots, peas, broccoli, green peppers
Fruit: apples, bananas
Other: cottage cheese, eggs, plain yogurt

These things are good for them for the same reason they are good for you.

llombardo 11-19-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicky2200 (Post 2633591)
Vegetables: green beans, carrots, peas, broccoli, green peppers
Fruit: apples, bananas
Other: cottage cheese, eggs, plain yogurt

These things are good for them for the same reason they are good for you.

Don't give the dog the seeds from the apples...just the apples..I repeat NO SEEDS!!

Kyleigh 11-19-2012 08:01 AM

veggies: carrots and zucchine
fruits: blueberries

eggs can be raw and / or hardboiled ...

GatorBytes 11-19-2012 09:46 AM

Dandilion (for liver support)

Dandelion Leaf also helps stimulate a sluggish digestive system and this aids the body in removing toxins and other waste. As a result, the liver does not have to work as hard to remove toxins that remain in the body.
Dandelion Leaf also helps maintain normal blood sugar levels. This particular benefit aids the liver so it doesn’t have to filter out excess glucose in the blood, a factor that can be very harmful to overall health. Inulin (a special sugar found in Dandelion Leaf) also promotes the growth of healthy bacteria (natural intestinal flora) which in turn serves to discourage the growth of harmful bacteria.

What Are Benefits of Organic Dandelion Leaf?

Blueberries should be organic as they fall under the dirty dozen (pesticides)
Apples if non organic should be peeled....if organic, feed the skins for sure.

The fruits and vegetables on “The Dirty Dozen” list, when conventionally grown, tested positive for at least 47 different chemicals, with some testing positive for as many as 67. For produce on the “dirty” list, you should definitely go organic — unless you relish the idea of consuming a chemical cocktail. “The Dirty Dozen” list includes:

celery
peaches
strawberries
apples
domestic blueberries
nectarines
sweet bell peppers
spinach, kale and collard greens
cherries
potatoes
imported grapes
lettuce