Problems with Coconut Oil - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Problems with Coconut Oil

After reading MANY threads on the greatness of coconut oil, I picked up a jar to try with Puppy. She was already doing super on Orijen (shiny soft coat, bouncy stools, etc) but none the less, I wanted to try the coconut.

Coinciding the coconut oil, she started getting a rash on her belly. Took her to the vet yesterday, and she said they are burst pimples. She said when young dogs get these, they usually ask about changes in diet. Recent changes are just the coconut oil, and some rotisserie chicken for training treats.

She suggested I take out the coconut oil and give dog 3 weeks to normalize. Vet also suggested if I wanted to give her a boost for Omega 3s, go for Orijen 6 fish after I've let her body normalize.

I wasn't particularly worried about Pup's orijen 3's prior to starting coconut oil since she is a quality diet with good Omega 3's...I just wanted to reap all the other benefits of coconut oil.

Has anyone else experienced this? Kind of bummed out since the coconut oil smelled SO GREAT and she loved it.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would think about the chicken over the coconut oil.
Many dogs are allergic to chicken. Hans is one of them. He gets itchy skin and runny eyes from it.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Her Orijen diet is chicken based, and I don't think we've been having any problems with it.

Let me google chicken allergies.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If this started after you began the coconut oil, then that would be my first thought too. There's nothing special about it and your dog could very well be allergic to it. By the way, all the great threads you've read have been nothing but hype.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We have one that is allergic to chicken. Try stopping the use of one or the other and see how it goes.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How much coconut oil are you using?
Is it "Raw, Organic, Cold pressed"? some are heat extracted, some are hydroginated like margarine and would render it useless.

The rotisserie chicken - from the grocery store? This could have additives/preservtives such as MSG. Also these grocery inhouse prepared meals take the nearly expired products from the shelves and "refresh" them via peroxide and/or bleach solution, cook them and extend the resale value of their product. SO that is more likely to cause a toxic reaction then teh cocnut oil (if the oil is as noted above)

The other side of the coin, is the coconut oil's ability to cleanse the gut (GI tract) of harmful yeasts and bacteria. It is effective in killing yeasts. When these die they produce toxins (some 39) and this is filtered through the liver. When the liver is over worked. The body recognizes these as foreign invaders and tries to rid the body via the skin - hence the eruptions. This could also be true of the possible questionable ingredients in the rotisserie chicken.

Stop the grocery store chicken all together.
Stop the oil for a few days to allow the liver to catch up (feed some liver healing foods like dandilion), you can then reintroduce starting at a fraction of the amount and incorporate working up over time.

L/U herxing symtoms online
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 11-18-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add to comment
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Gatorbytes beat me to it -- it matters what coconut oil . Because of the recent popularity surge there are now low standard coconut oils which are hydrogenated entry the market place , and chemical extraction to get the last drop .
I too would have suspected the chicken because of flavour enhancers such as MSG , high salt , adulterated fat .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

It's the nutiva(sp?) kind. It seems to be the one everyone is recommending.
The chicken was a one off, small amount high value treat. That has stopped too.

I'll wait for her to normalize on kibble, and then maybe try coconut oil again down the road.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Nutiva is a good product - meets all criteria including hexane free
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agreed Nutiva is a very good product .

and to answer this "If this started after you began the coconut oil, then that would be my first thought too. There's nothing special about it and your dog could very well be allergic to it. By the way, all the great threads you've read have been nothing but hype" my response would be , yes , it is special . Special enough to be included in human baby "milk" formulas , to be used in third world countries as a therapeutic for people dealing with gastro intestinal problems, disentry .

Ms Marshies I am thinking maybe the coconut oil, being an anti viral, anti bacterial , anti microbial, anti fungal, anti parasitic , perhaps the coconut oil had a little bit of a cleansing or detoxing effect evidenced by eruptions on the skin in the form of pimples or rash . So --- since coconut oil IS so good , take some of it and rub it on her belly where the rash is . If this rash is a bit of a reaction or bacterial infection the coconut oil will help remedy that .

Carmen
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.