Problems with Coconut Oil - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I suppose it's possible for a dog to be allergic to coconut oil just as they can be allergic to anything.

Is Acana high in fat? It's possible that the amount of coconut oil you are giving her is tipping the balance toward excess dietary fat, and what you're seeing is an oily acne.

Just curious, if she was doing great on her usual diet and wasn't having any problems, why did you want to add coconut oil? If it aint broke...
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I suppose it's possible for a dog to be allergic to coconut oil just as they can be allergic to anything.

Is Acana high in fat? It's possible that the amount of coconut oil you are giving her is tipping the balance toward excess dietary fat, and what you're seeing is an oily acne.

Just curious, if she was doing great on her usual diet and wasn't having any problems, why did you want to add coconut oil? If it aint broke...
Not broken, but wanted to see if it would do her more good. Probably a little greedy.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Agreed Nutiva is a very good product .

and to answer this "If this started after you began the coconut oil, then that would be my first thought too. There's nothing special about it and your dog could very well be allergic to it. By the way, all the great threads you've read have been nothing but hype" my response would be , yes , it is special . Special enough to be included in human baby "milk" formulas , to be used in third world countries as a therapeutic for people dealing with gastro intestinal problems, disentry .

Ms Marshies I am thinking maybe the coconut oil, being an anti viral, anti bacterial , anti microbial, anti fungal, anti parasitic , perhaps the coconut oil had a little bit of a cleansing or detoxing effect evidenced by eruptions on the skin in the form of pimples or rash . So --- since coconut oil IS so good , take some of it and rub it on her belly where the rash is . If this rash is a bit of a reaction or bacterial infection the coconut oil will help remedy that .

Carmen
Will rub on the outside for now. The vet said 2 times peroxide a day but a few days ago, I did peroxide and coconut oil, and it looked alot better in the morning. I'll restart on that.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post

Coconut oil is processed by the body differently then animal fats, that is why it is indicated for pancreatitis issues when a low fat diet is req'd.

Also converts to ketones that can pass the blood brain barrier and is indicated for epilepsy, and dementia type disorders. Fuel for the brain.

Carm...great you mentioned the oil for the rash. I had forgot to...I treated G's belly staph infection last summer w/a 50/50 mix of organic ACV and aloe vera juice, and slathered coconut oil on....NO ABX. REQ'D.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

coconut oil -- fuel for the brain - last week at Toronto's Whole Life Expo , my friend Paul was a speaker (see Vitality magazine) talking about his battle with Parkinsons disease. When I first met him he was stiff and self isolating , shaky , would only get up and move around when absolutely necessary. He used coconut oil as part of his therapy -- and now 18 months later , he initiates contact , has a smiling expressive face (instead of the grave serious one he had) , walks around everywhere, where speach was halting and laboured he is now fluent and cracks jokes even. Quite the transformation .

Instead of hydrogen peroxide I would recommend Vetrycyn -- much better healing process . Introduced it to my holistic vet who is very impressed with it . You can use it for ear cleaning as well.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

The trouble with putting coconut oil on her rash is...she tries to lick me when I go near her with my finger, she LOVES this stuff. Luckily, she'll leave it alone after it's been rubbed in.

Let me look into Vetrycyn. I use a bottle ear cleaner from petsmart...maybe I'll move to this stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions Carmen.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have no advice except I swear by the powers that be of coconut oil. Avery had a weird scab type thing on his elbow when we got him at 7 months old. Our vet said it was nothing, but within days of applying coconut oil the scab had come down half in size and within two weeks it was gone.

It's also great at moisturizing human hair and skin. It's a miracle cure all in our house now!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Coconut oil is the latest fad. It certainly has a place if your dog has a pancreatic deficiency but it has no application in a healthy dog. All it does it upset the important fat balance in the dog food and overtime make your dog fat.

You can use it as a topical but don't feed it to a healthy dog.

Just a waste of money.
WilsonRandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

coconut oil does not make the dog fat - if anything it makes the dog lean and stokes the fat buring engines . A healthy dog has a brain and that needs fat . A healthy dog does have contact with microbes and bacterial and fungal spores . A healthy dog is great -- and it is good to keep it that way.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.