Best Food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Athena
Default Best Food?

Right now, Athena is on Purina Puppy Chow until I get a job in the next month or less and can put her on the better stuff. Please, don't criticize me and make me feel bad, I already recognize it isn't the better of the foods, but this is only temporary until I can get her on better foods. So, I'm conflicted on what the best would be to feed her? Nutro, Nutro Ultra, Evo, Wellness, Blue Wild, Innova, etc.? I know some people say Royal Canin for GSDs, but I'd prefer something better for her, as I don't really think Royal Canin is all that good compared to the above (correct me if I'm wrong?). Also, I've heard that it's a better idea to put them on an all lifestages or adult dog food because the extra calcium or whatever they put in the puppy food makes GSDs (and other large breeds) grow too fast or develop more quickly than they should? Fact or myth? All advice is appreciated and will be considered, and I will also be doing my own research and share here for comments and thoughts!

http://youravon.com/mzuellig

Last edited by Athena; 11-17-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Typo!
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is no one best food for dogs and that's why there's so many. Feeding purina isn't the end of the world nor is it the worst out there by far. I would suggest a better food, one of the premium ones, but you have to find one that your dog does well on and you can afford.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Right, that's why it's so tough. Yeah, it definitely isn't the WORST, but I feel like I can feed her better and want to. I guess there's just so much looking down on owners, too, for what they feed out there, I feel like I'm not doing good enough. So, I want some different opinions and options.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It doesn't matter what other people are feeding their dogs; what does matter is how well your dog does on any particular food. Just pick one of the premium foods, if you want to feed something of higher quality - it doesn't matter which one - and see how your dog does on it.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks! That really is good advice. I appreciate it, Elaine.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most puppy foods have too much calcium, which is why if you feed a puppy food at all, it needs to be specifically for large breed pups.

First, you have to look at what you can afford.
I have one dog that eats 1/2 cup of food per day. I can afford to feed him EVO.
My mom has 5 dogs that eat a total of 8 cups of food per day. She feeds them Kirkland - it's what she can afford.

Going by what you can afford, go with whatever you feel like, really.

EVO, Innova, Wellness CORE, Wellness, Nature's Variety, Blue Wilderness, Taste of the Wild... and see what your dog likes/what works for your girl.

There are quite a few excellent foods out there.
No one is better than another.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate it. I've just been so used to being slammed for what I feed. I have to be honest, my other two adult dogs are on Purina Dog Chow Active Senior 7+, but honestly? They have been doing GREAT on it! They eat with gusto, their coats are shiny, no allergy problems, they don't act their age at all, and knock on wood, no health issues. So, I guess it really is what works best for your dog.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I admit that I am a dog food snob for my dogs, but I know dogs that lived long and healthy lives on crap like Gaines burger - that was the plasticky imitation hamberger patties. That said, I don't know how well they really felt on the inside. I, personally, have a terrible diet, but I look healthy and feel fine. When I do make an effort and go on a health kick and eat better, I do feel much better.

I always recommend a dog be fed the highest quality dog food that the dog does well on and that the owner can find and afford, but knowing how well some dogs do on very poor diets, I don't look down on people that do the best they can on lower quality diets.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

That seems like the best way to look at it. When we take our dogs to the veterinarian, they ALWAYS receive a 100% clean bill of health. Yeah, I will admit my dogs have had some off days, but who doesn't, dog and human, you know?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Kirkland brand at Costco is good for the price.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.