Best Food? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Athena

How much do you pay for a bag and how many pounds? I called Costco, but the lady was a real rude b**** and refused to tell me ANYTHING, let alone if they even SOLD it! I had to keep asking and she ended up yelling at me and hanging up. :/

http://youravon.com/mzuellig
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

last time i bought kirkland it was $24 for a huge bag, dont remember the weight but i do remember that it went moldy, and i had to throw it out. id stick to smaller bags at such a young age, it stays fresher. ive since switched to merrick (better for my girls digestive track) I had a doxie that i fed purina beneful and she lived to 17, although those doxies are tough breeds and small dogs live longer. good luck
lorihd@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

My euro working line pup (6 months old) has been on Acana Wild Prairie for the past 2.5 months or so, he's been doing wonderfully on it. He was having a lot of issues with food early on, but part of that was my own fault for not feeding correct portion sizes. Even so, the Pro Plan I had him on left him with really really bad smelling stool as well as gas. He has none of those issues on Acana, he's got a beautiful coat, is very healthy and is super full of energy. It's a bit pricey ($65 for 28.8lb bag), but he's doing extremely well on it and that's what matters.
reck0n3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

I fed raw until my schedule and circumstances forced me to go to kibble. I try to find a grain free, without filler (purina is just full of it..). I fed TOTW for a long time, now I'm feeding 4health from TSC. It is one of the lowest priced foods that isnt a bunch of junk, IMO. We have been doing great with it for about 4 months now. I got the salmon kind, because they just didn't like the chicken and rice kind...LOL! I think raw is best... and I will try to get back to it, but otherwise, just watch the ingredients, and pick something that isn't full of corn and "middlings". Its like eating fortified cardboard. Good dog food isn't much more than crap dog food really. I'm about broke most of the time myself, I totally get that!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Right now, Athena is on Purina Puppy Chow until I get a job in the next month or less and can put her on the better stuff. Please, don't criticize me and make me feel bad, I already recognize it isn't the better of the foods, but this is only temporary until I can get her on better foods. So, I'm conflicted on what the best would be to feed her? Nutro, Nutro Ultra, Evo, Wellness, Blue Wild, Innova, etc.? I know some people say Royal Canin for GSDs, but I'd prefer something better for her, as I don't really think Royal Canin is all that good compared to the above (correct me if I'm wrong?). Also, I've heard that it's a better idea to put them on an all lifestages or adult dog food because the extra calcium or whatever they put in the puppy food makes GSDs (and other large breeds) grow too fast or develop more quickly than they should? Fact or myth? All advice is appreciated and will be considered, and I will also be doing my own research and share here for comments and thoughts!
I have found Dr. Tim's to be among the best foods around, if not the best. Super high quality, reasonably priced though not cheap and very popular with professionals. On the value side, nothing can touch Victor.
WilsonRandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
How much do you pay for a bag and how many pounds? I called Costco, but the lady was a real rude b**** and refused to tell me ANYTHING, let alone if they even SOLD it! I had to keep asking and she ended up yelling at me and hanging up. :/
The grain free salmon is $33.99 for 35 lbs.
barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
The grain free salmon is $33.99 for 35 lbs.
Compare Kirkland GF made by Diamond to Victor GF. They are about the same price.

There is no comparison.
WilsonRandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Best Food?

I know exactly what is in puppy chow etc and used to follow everyones advice. My 2.5 year old GSD still has not found the perfect food. My 10 month? On puppy chow and is happy healthy great weight sparkling eyes and silky coat. Solid poops too. I am not going to change her food. So I ask....does the puppy chow work? If it does, why change other than the fact that opinions ask you to. I finally reached the point that I feed what works and dont change just because someone tells me to. My pup will move to dog chow at year old...yes dog chow and it it keeps her like she does I will keep her on it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
VegasResident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I like that, it's fun driving rude people crazy!
onedogman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Purina IS one of theee worst dog foods out there. Orjien is pretty hard to beat, unless you take price into considerationm because it is spendy. But if you want the best Orijen is it. Now saying that, there are quite a few good dog foods out there.

Orijen, Acana, Horizon Legacy, Fromm, Merrick, Go Endurance, Precise Holistic, Wellness Core, Castor and Pollux Natural, Eathborn Holistic, Evo, Go Fit and Free, Instinct, Pinnacle Peak, Solid Gold, Canidea, Darford Zero/G, Now Grain Free.
Pulsar, Blue Wilderness, Artemis, First Mate. Natures Logic, Nutrisourse, Exclusive, Pure Vita, Wellness, Earthborn, Annamaet, Organix, Whole Earth Farms, Premium Edge, By Nature grain free, TOTW.

Dog Food Advisor | 5-Star Dog Foods
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.