Nutro Ultra - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for all the reviews.

This food was recommended to me by the breeder/trainer because it is most comparable to the food that they were giving him in Germany. Unless it causes any problems I think I am going to continue to feed this along with boiled chicken 2x per week.

Out of curiousity how many cups do you feed your GSD? I am giving mine 2 cups, 2 x a day.
KLZ86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

i give 5 cups for a 90 pound working dog

chance eaglepack has corn in it, for a dog like hers use to getting a good diet you think it is a good idea? IDK

Last edited by pets4life; 11-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, whole brown rice, ground rice, rice bran, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), lamb meal, salmon meal, natural flavors, flaxseed, sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried plain beet pulp, rolled oats, potassium chloride, egg product, tomato pomace, dried pomegranate, dried blueberry, dried cranberry, dried pumpkin, dried spinach, dried carrot, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), l-carnitine, biotin, niacin supplement, potassium iodide, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (source of vitamin B2), vitamin A supplement, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), sodium selenite, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid

IT seems like a nice food its not the best of the best but it does seem like a good food, i think it seems better than eagle pack. My dog could Never handle it ever but for a dog that has a strong stomach I think it is a nice food. I just dont like how it has normal white rice in it.

The food that made my dog the most sick and disgusting looking was orijen and people love that food.

Last edited by pets4life; 11-24-2012 at 02:02 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

For the price difference, we like Costco's Kirkland, which is also creeping up in cost, but not as much as some of the "brand names".
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Nutro has been involved in serious recalls in the past as well as inexplicable cases of animals sick and/or dying. I wouldn't feed it to my neighbor's dog who never shuts up and destroys my fence.

If you want to feed something that grainy, I would say Kirkland (Diamond plant, FYI) or go with something "clean" (family company, no recalls) like Fromm that has grain recipes. Even the Purina "Infinia" is a good line of food for the price, though still made by a big mfr.

If you must feed kibble, my personal choice would be Orijen, Acana, Fromm grain frees, etc.

I also use Honest Kitchen with both raw and kibble.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
Nutro has been involved in serious recalls in the past as well as inexplicable cases of animals sick and/or dying. I wouldn't feed it to my neighbor's dog who never shuts up and destroys my fence.

If you want to feed something that grainy, I would say Kirkland (Diamond plant, FYI) or go with something "clean" (family company, no recalls) like Fromm that has grain recipes. Even the Purina "Infinia" is a good line of food for the price, though still made by a big mfr.

If you must feed kibble, my personal choice would be Orijen, Acana, Fromm grain frees, etc.

Purina Infinia is not the Purina that makes Pro Plan and all the other foods. It is Purina Mills which is part of Land O Lakes. Years back Purina Mills was part of Ralston Purina, which is now Purina we all know.

Infinia is actually made by the same company that makes Precise.
WilsonRandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post

Economically Motivated Adulteration

The FDA itself provides some pet foods with a free license to economically motivated adulteration. Every pet food that contains the ingredients by-product meal, meat meal, meat and bone meal, animal digest, and or animal fat could be considered adulterated according to Federal Law. FDA policy (which by the way does not override Federal Law but no one of authority seems to care) tells Field Inspectors to NOT enforce Federal food safety law; it is acceptable to FDA that diseased, dying, dead, and disabled (4D) animals can be rendered into the above common pet food and pet treat ingredients. Animal protein ingredients from 4D animals are neatly packaged into a shocking number of high priced pet foods and treats. The key to the vault; economically motivated adulteration.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I've never understood people who won't change until there is a problem. What if that problem is your dogs kidneys failing because of this food? Do you really want to experience the "fun" of a lethargic dog, bloody diarrhea or in mine and a couple others case; the scene of your dog PUKING straight blood "before you change"? Did you read the reviews of the problems people have on this stuff? Isn't it better to take precautions NOW rather than later??
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Economically Motivated Adulteration

The FDA itself provides some pet foods with a free license to economically motivated adulteration. Every pet food that contains the ingredients by-product meal, meat meal, meat and bone meal, animal digest, and or animal fat could be considered adulterated according to Federal Law. FDA policy (which by the way does not override Federal Law but no one of authority seems to care) tells Field Inspectors to NOT enforce Federal food safety law; it is acceptable to FDA that diseased, dying, dead, and disabled (4D) animals can be rendered into the above common pet food and pet treat ingredients. Animal protein ingredients from 4D animals are neatly packaged into a shocking number of high priced pet foods and treats. The key to the vault; economically motivated adulteration.
Wow, so are you saying that dogs eat like wolves? 4D animals are what wolves eat everyday. Coyotes as well. Have you ever seen a wild animal turn down a meal because it was diseased, dying, dead or disabled? Sounds like Mother Nature to me.

If you are that concerned use a food from an EU Certified plant.
WilsonRandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Wow I used to recommend nutro/natural choice all the time back in the days when I worked in a pet food store. Then Spots stew and Innova came out which obviously were a better choice. Nutro still is good although not top of the line and it doesn't contain byproducts.
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.