German Shepherds Forum banner

What's The Longest You've Shown 'Tough Love'

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Zeeva 
#1 ·
Most of us have probably had dogs who like most food,but don't like some. How long do you normally hold out before you switch foods? I'm talking about picking it up and putting it back down. The longest I've held out was for 5 days before I finally gave in and provided something else.

#2 ·
2 1/2 maybe 3 days...Smokey is a finicky eater. But I think I've found something he likes for now (crosses fingers). Are you still having trouble with one of your fosters that I remember you posting about before? Got very excited when you prepared her food but wouldn't eat once it was set down???

#3 ·
We've come to the conclusion that Casja is just a very light eater. There are some days that she will eat everything in her bowl and others are just her grazing days. Then sometimes she doesn't eat at all. Vet says she's healthy and to not worry about it. I just wanted to know what some others do as far as how long they hold out.I don't get too many picky dogs,but after 3 days most of them get the point;).

Are you still having trouble with one of your fosters that I remember you posting about before? Got very excited when you prepared her food but wouldn't eat once it was set down???

#4 ·
I'm sure you know all the tricks of the trade being so experienced with dogs. But have you tried feeding her with another overzealous dog that likes to eat? Sometimes that'll coax a finicky eater into eating as (I think?) they fear the other dog may eat their food and don't want that to happen. Do you take away her food after about a half an hour? Also, sometimes I put a couple of treats or mix the food with a little bit of cheese. I put it at the bottom of the bowl and then cover it with kibble. Smokey has to dig it out and in the process begins to eat...

Just some of my experience...Hope it helps a lil :)

#5 ·
I don't. I've found that if Jax won't eat it then the chances there is something wrong with it is pretty high. There was a dog food she refused to eat, the Boxer ate it for her. I woke up to pools of blood and diarhea all over the kitchen from the Boxers and Jax was lethargic. Threw the food out, all recovered. That was just after all those dogs and cats died from poisoned food. So I trust her nose. If she won't eat it, it gets tossed.

#6 ·
Having one dog in the home may make a dog picky(no competition to eat?) When I only had one dog I did let her 'free feed'....Clover was given a portion in the morning and she grazed when she wanted to throughout the day. She wasn't really food driven. Enter a puppy.....Clover decided it was not a good idea to leave her food or pup Onyx would get it. After having two dogs, I never free fed again and my dogs now are all good about eating when I dish it out. Kacie will take her food elsewhere to eat(I feed raw) she isn't one to eat her rmb's near her bowl so she eats outside and sometimes takes a 1/2 hour to eat, I have to remind her to eat. If she won't eat, I pick it up and fridge it, but seldom does that happen.

I trust her nose. If she won't eat it, it gets tossed.
I do the same thing, if my dogs won't eat something(fish usually) I do not force it on them

#9 ·
What I was referring to is dogs who have been eating the food,but then decide that they don't like what you put down,even though they have been eating it. It would be different if I just purchased the food and they wouldn't touch it.I've had that happen too and of course it was thrown out.

#10 ·
I would have a few different blends(proteins) of the same brand and just rotate. If the dog chose not to eat, I'd probably top it with yogurt or cooked scrambled egg. Unless this dog was overweight, I wouldn't do tough love, because I am too soft! One day, no big deal but by day three of a dog not eating would really concern me/I'd look at the mouth, dentition and other reasons why no appetite? Hormones, thyroid....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.