Himalayan cheese sticks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Himalayan cheese sticks

These sound great for our puppy-to-be when teething, but I see one of the ingredients is lime juice. I read that citrus anything is bad for dogs. I know, I know, - there is always something to WORRY about!! Sorry about that, I just want my new puppy to be safe.

Do you think the lime juice in these, which is obviously all dried up (but will get reconstituted by dog saliva, yum), could be a problem?

So far I'm down to antlers, these cheese sticks, a rolled up frozen washcloth, and a safe stick, as candidates for teething help.

Thanks much.
WolfieWolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dogs LOVE the himalayan chews! And they last for quite a while.

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog loved hers too, I just worried she'd wear out her teeth as she would eat them by scraping them with her front teeth! lol

I think they are fine.

What about bully sticks or a raw knuckle bone?
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great, thanks, glad to hear they're fine. I'm going to go with these. BlackShep, about the bully sticks, I just found out they are dried bull penises, and haven't come to terms with that thought yet!

What do you think about an unfinished furniture leg? I know puppies like to chew on the furniture... why not give them a leg of their own?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfieWolf View Post
Great, thanks, glad to hear they're fine. I'm going to go with these. BlackShep, about the bully sticks, I just found out they are dried bull penises, and haven't come to terms with that thought yet!

What do you think about an unfinished furniture leg? I know puppies like to chew on the furniture... why not give them a leg of their own?
Milla has taken a liking to the firewood by the fireplace. She thinks it's great!

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stosh loves Himalayan Chews too
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberGSD2 View Post
Milla has taken a liking to the firewood by the fireplace. She thinks it's great!
that's so cute. I really do think puppies like wood for teething, if the furniture chewers I've known are any indication. I'm trying to find a clean wood furniture part, - leg, arm, whatever, - that doesn't come from China, and it is nigh on impossible.

Do you think it would hurt the puppy to chew on an old piece of finished (stained and varnished) furniture from the 1950's? I know, it is finished with chemicals, but they're pretty old... ? I did this for the GSD we had many many years ago, when he was a puppy. The chair back I used (after removing anything sharp) must have been from 20's or 30's, and in retrospect I realize it probably had lead in the finish, eek. He was so brilliant, though. He started chewing on the coffee table etc., and I just handed him this entire DR chair back, and said, This is what you can chew. He never chewed anything else. I love GSDs!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfieWolf View Post

I don't like to encourage them to chew on things that resemble anything I DON'T want them to chew. Plus I'd worry about splinters in thier mouth or digestive tract.

I know, bully sticks are gross. However, if an animal has to die, I'm glad they use all the parts. They are more digestible than rawhide and last for a pretty long time. I always throw the last couple of inches away (sorry guys lol) because my pup will try to swallow it whole, so I get the longer ones so I don't waste as much.

Also, don't worry as much about splintering that you wold with smoked marrow bones, or cracking teeth.

I can't even talk about bully sticks without making it sound dirty...
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I love these things, the dogs love them too but they are so expensive. I paid 30 bucks for just one. Then again antlers are very expensive too.
K9Drover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used to give Saber Himalayan cheese when she was little. They lasted a long time. It smells kind of good, too! But when she was about a year old she figured out that if she threw the cheese down the stairs, it would hit the tile and break into pieces that she could just eat. She did that to 3 giant sized Himalayan chews and now I don't buy them anymore. Too expensive for her to eat in 15 minutes!
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog: Stuff Saber Does
cassadee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.