5.5 month with Renal issue - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gurgaon, India
Posts: 120
Default

Thanks Wolf. Unfortunately I stay in India, so won't be able to order that. However, I could try to use the same ingredients and make something similar.

On another note, we got a blood test done today. Creatinine up to 3.8. We're guessing/hoping it's just an abnormal spike due to his puking.

As far as puking goes, we seem to have found a theory. People here can verify if it makes sense.

On Friday he had a biscuit with cashew in it. He puked his papaya some time after that.

On Sunday he had one almond. I've been reading about almond toxicity in dogs. Maybe that caused him to vomit.
obelinux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #82 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 21,536
Default

Almonds are not toxic to dogs.

ASPCA | Almonds

Toxic Nuts
http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzo...s-to-Dogs.aspx
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 11-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master Member
 
UConnGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 801
Default

Interesting, Obelinux!

Michelle, I am wondering if some dogs can be allergic to nuts the way some humans are allergic to them and whether that can cause GI upset like vomiting??
__________________
UConnGSD
Wolfgang vom Kolenda (Wolfie) 5/5/08 - 7/24/12 -- You taught me so much, sweet boy
Foxy 8/13/12 (Gotcha Day -- 1.5 year old at adoption)
UConnGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #84 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 21,536
Default

Both links say they can cause gastro issues because they aren't digested well and the fat in them. I would think it's more that than allergies?
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gurgaon, India
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Almonds are not toxic to dogs.

ASPCA | Almonds

Toxic Nuts
Nuts Dangers to Dogs
Interesting! Now it's back to square one. Not sure what caused him to vomit, and if that was the reason his creatinine shot up again. By the time we could digest his reducing creatinine, it goes back up again .
obelinux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gurgaon, India
Posts: 120
Default

Whiskey's creatinine dropped to 3.08.

His weight though has been a bit off.

This is what his weight gain over the past month looks like

21st Oct - 15.1 kg
26th Oct - 15.7 kg
28th Oct - 16.2 kg
2nd Nov - 17.3 kg
8th Nov - 18.3 kg
12th Nov - 17.5 Kg
18th Nov - 18.3 kg

We think the drop on the 12th was possibly due to his vomiting and slight stomach upset. We are not sure if we are feeding him enough.

This is what he gets through the day

80-100g of mutton ( goat meat)
400g of uncooked rice ( cooked quantity might be 3x that)
100g Sweet potato
2 egg whites

Is this diet sufficient for a 6 month puppy or should I increase something? He gets a 2 mile walk every day, and some ball play, otherwise no other physical exertion.
obelinux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #87 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
vom Eisenherz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 285
Default

Don't give antacids to a raw fed dog. Unfortunately, it's one or the other. If the dog really needs them, feed food slightly cooked or choose a dehydrated food, etc. DogAware.com Health: Non-Prescription Commercial Diets for Dogs with Kidney Disease but in this case, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Sadly, many vets don't understand this and many owners don't think about how important those acids being blocked are to the safe and thorough processing of raw food.
vom Eisenherz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #88 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gurgaon, India
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vom Eisenherz View Post
Don't give antacids to a raw fed dog. Unfortunately, it's one or the other. If the dog really needs them, feed food slightly cooked or choose a dehydrated food, etc. DogAware.com Health: Non-Prescription Commercial Diets for Dogs with Kidney Disease but in this case, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Sadly, many vets don't understand this and many owners don't think about how important those acids being blocked are to the safe and thorough processing of raw food.
I'm sorry. I should've mentioned. We cook the meat before giving it to my puppy. Problem in India is, you can't rely on the quality of raw meat.
obelinux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #89 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 21,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obelinux View Post
Whiskey's creatinine dropped to 3.08.

His weight though has been a bit off.

This is what his weight gain over the past month looks like

21st Oct - 15.1 kg
26th Oct - 15.7 kg
28th Oct - 16.2 kg
2nd Nov - 17.3 kg
8th Nov - 18.3 kg
12th Nov - 17.5 Kg
18th Nov - 18.3 kg

We think the drop on the 12th was possibly due to his vomiting and slight stomach upset. We are not sure if we are feeding him enough.

This is what he gets through the day

80-100g of mutton ( goat meat)
400g of uncooked rice ( cooked quantity might be 3x that)
100g Sweet potato
2 egg whites

Is this diet sufficient for a 6 month puppy or should I increase something? He gets a 2 mile walk every day, and some ball play, otherwise no other physical exertion.
How does his weight look? What is the phosphorus content of that per day?
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gurgaon, India
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
How does his weight look? What is the phosphorus content of that per day?
Weight is as per the table I've put up. I'm not sure if he should be gaining more weight or not. He's 14 lbs short of his ideal weight . Phosphorous is usually between 100-125 mg a day ( max ), else it's pretty low Ph.
obelinux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com