Anyone use Royal Canin GSD specific food? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Storms View Post
Someone said RC GSD costs the same as Orijen. That is simply not true. RC is about 30% less than Orijen per lb.

Between the two I would take RC, but there are better foods that are the same price or cheaper.

INGREDIENTS Orijen LBP

Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, sweet potato, peas, fresh boneless turkey*, chicken fat, (preserved with mixed tocopherols), fresh whole eggs*, fresh chicken liver*, fresh boneless lake whitefish* fresh boneless walleye*, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, fresh boneless herring*, organic kelp, pumpkin, chicory root, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Verse Royal German shepherd

Chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, chicken fat, barley, rice, natural chicken flavor, pork meal, soy protein isolate, sodium silico aluminate, wheat gluten meal, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), powdered cellulose, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), soya oil, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, dried egg product, sodium tripolyphosphate, DL-methionine, L-tyrosine, taurine, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.
kr16 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
The only thing GSD specific is the label that says GSD.

This stuff costs as much as Orijen, wow.

IMO this food is fillers, cheap in quality and gets terrible reviews on all sites except the ones that sell it.

The only thing that matters is this. And its not impressive

Chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, chicken fat, barley, rice, natural chicken flavor, pork meal, soy protein isolate, sodium silico aluminate, wheat gluten meal, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), powdered cellulose, anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), soya oil, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, dried egg product, sodium tripolyphosphate, DL-methionine, L-tyrosine, taurine, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid.
There is NO meat in this product. The chicken meal is from Tyson and contains 70% bone. Just a bag of CHEAP grains and salt, sodium silico aluminate is eye shadow and I would never let my dog eat anything with this or soy protein isolate, wheat gluten meal, soya oil, dried brewers yeast extract, sodium selenite, citric acid in it, all are terrible for dogs. There are at least 7 different types of salt in this product and that is why a dog would eat this.
3ToesTonyismydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

I bought it for awhile for my shepherds, but their systems did not like it. I ended up giving away a bag and a half of it. The dogs would eat it with no problem, but the gas and diarrhea wasn't great. A lot of people will tell you it's to rich for a GSD's system.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Thats what my breeder trained Lulu on. I fed it to her for the first week but after that switched her over to raw. My logic was that she is growing now... 17 lbs when I got her and 22 lbs 2 weeks later so thats got to come from somewhere and I wanted it to be from the best food I could afford.

Though I will say that it was like crack to her and she will even eat it as a treat.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

I'm currently on my first bag with RC and my pup doesn't like it. She can actually care less for it so I mix in 1 raw beef patty in the morning and mix some chicken breast w/it @ night. She would lick the bowl clean! But before that she wouldn't even touch it and I would have to hand feed her. I have to say that her stool is more firm than before when she was on a different brand and she definitely farts and stinks up the room bad! Lol! I wanted to switch brands because he didn't show interest but my husband insist we use this because he heard it was really good for them. Now that I've read this thread, it really disappoints me what would everyone recommend? I don't care or price, I just want good nutrition for my baby. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Meeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you want the best I would go with Orijen personally-- or raw if you are willing/able to learn how to do it properly for a growing puppy.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

I ended up going with Fromm Gold LBP. She loves it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
0pusX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Royal Canin Maxi Adult can be fed to German shepherds. Is it a super premium dog kibble - no; is it the worst kibble sold - no.

Ingredients: Chicken meal, rice, brown rice, corn gluten meal, oatmeal, chicken fat, natural chicken flavor, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), anchovy oil (source of EPA/DHA), rice hulls, salt, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, dried egg product, dried brewers yeast, glucosamine hydrochloride, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], chondroitin sulfate, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols (source of Vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract.

"If your dog eats it and does well on it, then feed it to him."
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

I just switched to Blue Buffelo Wilderness from Royal Canin its not much more expenssive and so much better quality and the dog likes it better as well.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

May sound like a dumb question, but what constitutes better quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.