Nature's Logic - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default Nature's Logic

Well Grim is fininshing up his first bag of this food and I am terribly pleased. Coat is plush and shiny. Energy levels are good. Stools are small. No blood panels planned for a few months but I will probably move Beau over to it when he finishes his two remaining bags of Acana old formula.

I take some comfort in knowing it is manufactured at the Victor facility and it does not have some of the ingredients I wanted to avoid for Grim. (mainly flax which seems to bother him and canola which concerns me overall)......

I like the fact that it seems they give you straight answers whether or not it is what you want to hear they are true to their philosophy. I also like that it dissolves in water while some other foods can go a long time without breaking apart.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I've heard great things about Nature's Logic foods. They look like a great product and it seems like a very good company as well. The calcium and phosphorus levels and ratio looks to be too much for me though since Jazz is just 8 (almost 9) months old and still has some growing left to do.

Glad to hear it is working so well for you though!
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Glad to hear Grim is doing well on NL!
Kaos is 9 months now, I'm thinking I'll switch her in late fall/early winter

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Barb E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I wanted to report our blood panel for Grim approx 5+ months out

CBC and Chemistries. Everything was perfect with his blood. Only flag was slightly elevated BUN with a value of 28 on a test with reference range 9-27 but I understand that is typical for dogs fed a high protein diet.

Urinalysis had some issues - working on that with the holistic vet right now she is treating for a possible UTI or prostatitis. She thinks low level chronic - no issues with him just the urine and I am doing what I can to encourage him to drink more water.

------------

I was most concerned about minerals on the Chem panel becuase Natures Logic does NOT follow AAFCO specifications, but did the feeding trial which is too short lived, and to small a testing protocol to be meaningful. Owner of the company is very good at answering emailed questions and a lot of testimonials but I relied heavily on those from people I know and trust as well. IT is also highly rated at many review sites. If nothing else there are a number of informative "articles" on the site. The food is currently manufactured at the plant that makes Victor.

One thing that is interesting is the owner feels a raw diet is truly best for the dogs and will tell you so. Right now the frozen he sells is cost prohibitive and my ability to access quality meat ingredients (such as grass fed, hormone free and antibiotic free which is what goes into his foods) is low as is my available time to scout and secure them.

So these are the ingredients of one of several foods - the main variant being the meat ingredient....approx 38% protein on some formulas, and 32% on others. Fat running 17-18%. 3:6 is 5:1.

INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, Pumpkin Seed, Yeast Culture, Spray Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Product, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Dried Kelp, Cheese Powder, Spray Dried Porcine Plasma, Dried Tomato, Almonds, Dried Chicory Root, Dried Carrot, Dried Apple, White Fish Meal, Egg Shell Meal, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Apricot, Dried Blueberry, Dried Spinach, Dried Broccoli, Dried Cranberry, Parsley, Dried Artichoke, Rosemary, Mixed Tocopherols, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidium Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Pineapple Extract, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachtium Fermentation Extract
Direct Fed Microbials*:minimum 100,000,000 CFU per pound (in descending amounts, L. acidophilus, L. casei, B. bifidium, E. faecium, B. coagulans)

Enzymes: Protease* (Aspergillus Niger, var) 1559 Tyrosine units liberated/min/kg, Alpha-amylase* (Aspergillus oryzae) 3.98 dextrinized starch units liberated/min/kg, Lipase* (Aspergillus Niger, var) 19.2 µmol fatty acid liberated/min/kg, Cellulase* (Trichoderma Longibrachtium) 82.5 µg Tyrosine liberated/min/kg.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 12-16-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I had Halo on it for a few months, I think we went through 2 or 3 bags, but I ended up switching her back to Orijen. Her stools were always a bit soft on Nature's Logic, and now they're smaller and firmer like they were before. Her coat is also best on Orijen, so I guess I have to just suck it up and spend the $$$! Keefer has been on many different foods in his 7 years, and the ONLY one he consistently does well on is the Orijen 6 Fish. I was hoping to put Halo on something less expensive to balance out the high price of his food, but unfortunately for me both of my dogs do best on Orijen.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, we know different dogs do better on different foods. Beau had loose stools on Origin and it did not settle well on Grim's stomach. .........

Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Where do you get it?

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I ordered it online from Doggyfood.com. I've been buying Orijen from there too because at one time they had the best prices, and free shipping too. But now they're pretty much at full retail so I shopped around on my most recent order and found a pretty big savings at Chewy.com, who also has free shipping. I think Petflow carries Nature's Logic too. There are some stores in the Bay Area who have the brand, but none of them are particularly convenient to me.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I get mine from chewy.com as they seem to have the best variety and the freshest product (formula change from black to tan bags as well as manufacturing now at the same plant who makes victor) I have had very good service from them (but they all seem to have good service)--the old formula had flax but they removed it due to other requests (he said folks feel it is bad for repro system and he took it out)

Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

so if our dogs are pets and not used for breeding, is there a problem with flax ? tks.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.