My GSD has a VERY sensitive stomach - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My GSD has a VERY sensitive stomach

Hello,

My GSD is named Gunter and he is 86 lbs and 15 months old. From day 1 he has always had a very sensitive stomach and it has been a challenge to get his poo from not being loose or him having diarrhea in the middle of the night.

1) Gunter has been tested for worms and parasites, etc.
2) He does pretty good on Boiled chicken, rice and canned pumpkin but I want to find a dry food that works.

I have tried high quality food like Orijen and Acana but I think they were too much for his stomach. A couple of months ago at the suggestion of another GSD owner I switched him to Diamond Hi Energy with the thought that is may not be as rich as the other foods. It worked for a while and his poo looked much better. Unfortunately, Diamond had a recall and he had a tainted bag which affected his tummy for a few weeks and he lost some weight. Once I found out about the recall I went to boiled chickenand rice and then I tried to go back to that food (post recall) but he wan't interested in eating it and I don't blame him.

I switched him to Royal Canin GSD 24 food and he loves it but he has had very loose poo which is expected because of the change but it has been almost two weeks. I even had the vet give me some meds to help the diarrhea and it hasn't done that well. So now I am thinking this food might be too much for him. I'm caught in the middle of him really liking the food and it hurting his stomach. I have considered switching to a very limited ingrediant food like Blue Buffalo turkey and potatoe or something other limited brand. Thoughts? Thanks.
kilemark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Between having picky eaters, sensitive tummies, and allergies, its taken years to find a food Dakota does well on. As for Kaiser, he nixed his first food immediately, did well on the second (but itched) so now we are on number three. At any rate, some dogs just cant handle richer foods. Some dogs can't handle eating one meal a day. Try a limited ingredient diet, and feed at least 2 meals a day. Remove ALL treats from the menu for now, and just be patient

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh boy, can I relate! I have one of those sensitive tummy GSD's.

After a boat load of different foods (Cal Natural, TOTW, Evo, Innova, Wellness, Acana & Orijen to name a few), I went with Precise Sensicare and it worked. No more messy poos and his tummy tolerated it well.
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Keep in mind that too much food can also cause loose stool. I obviously don't know what your boy looks like without a picture, but I can tell you that 86lbs is large for a young GSD. Maybe you could post a picture to help give us an idea?

You could try a limited ingredient food as well. My dog did well on the Natural Balance limited ingredient diets. I would also limit treats for now as well until you can determine what the issue is. If the vet hasn't determined any underlying health issues, than he may just not tolerate some of the ingredients listed in the food, in which case, the limited ingredient diet may work well.
[I]
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry to hear about your dog. Our girl has had similar problems, but not diarrhea in the middle of the night. She was diagnosed with colitis and is 2 years old. She was itchy and frequent bursts of watery diarrhea or poop that looked like soft serve ice cream. The vet thought is was allergies, but we could not do the trial for 6-8 weeks where you just eat one food. Now that time has passed, we see much of the stomach/colon upset is caused by stress.

RC GSD food is the one dry food that our dog really liked and would eat it without adding anything to it. We also use it for training treats to keep the feeding consistent. But like you, her poo is only semi-firm on the GSD food. We are trying one more brand, just switching so it's too soon to tell, its Innova Large Breed formula. We've tried most others ( grain, grain-free, potato, sweet potato based, etc) no firm stool, or she did not like the taste. We finally are opting for dry food with added glucosamine like the large breed formulas, since nothing really works. Pumpkin does not work for us, but white rice does (our dog just does not like it).

If you are willing to try raw for a meal, we like prepared raw like Nature's Variety, or dehydrated raw like The Honest Kitchen you might see some improvement. We did. The down side to these foods are that they are more expensive, and sometimes I forget to thaw out the Nature's Variety. My dog loves the raw, she is luke warm to the dehydrated raw but will eat it if I add some boiled chicken or lamb to it.

We sometimes add supplements to her food, it's hard to tell if they really work but we are willing to try anything at this point. One is FortiFlora by Purina - you can get it at your vet or order from amazon. The other is Perfect Form by The Honest Kitchen.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
Oh boy, can I relate! I have one of those sensitive tummy GSD's.

After a boat load of different foods (Cal Natural, TOTW, Evo, Innova, Wellness, Acana & Orijen to name a few), I went with Precise Sensicare and it worked. No more messy poos and his tummy tolerated it well.
The stores in my area do not sell this brand. Is this new, or can you only get it online? Sounds like something I should look into as well.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Keep in mind that too much food can also cause loose stool. I obviously don't know what your boy looks like without a picture, but I can tell you that 86lbs is large for a young GSD. Maybe you could post a picture to help give us an idea?

You could try a limited ingredient food as well. My dog did well on the Natural Balance limited ingredient diets. I would also limit treats for now as well until you can determine what the issue is. If the vet hasn't determined any underlying health issues, than he may just not tolerate some of the ingredients listed in the food, in which case, the limited ingredient diet may work well.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. The vet says he will be around 100 lbs or so once he finishes growing. I will post a picture of him when I get home. I think I may try the Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison. Are you familiar with that type of Natural Balance?
kilemark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Is there a chance that it's not the food?

How much are you feeding, and how often? If he's pooping during the night, does that mean that you're feeding late?

Also, are you giving treats or pig ears, bully sticks, etc...?

I find that a combination of either too much food, and the treats mentioned could very easily be the culprits.

You should post a picture, and a complete breakdown of what and how you feed him.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try switching to a food based on salmon and sweet potatoes.. May be type, not quality of food.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is the Precise Sensicare formula from their website. They have a retailer locator on the top right.

Precise Pet Products | Sensicare
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.