TOTW voluntary recall... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default TOTW voluntary recall...

Here is the link and the the page posted below as well

Taste of the Wild : Information

Recall Information

Diamond Pet Foods, Manufacturer of Taste of the Wild Pet Food, Issues Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food
Recall is limited to product manufactured between December 9, 2011 through April 7, 2012 and distributed to 16 states and Canada

05/04/12

Diamond Pet Foods, manufacturer of Taste of the Wild Pet Food, has issued a voluntary recall of limited batches of their dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011, and April 7, 2012 due to Salmonella concerns. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any potential issues this may have caused pet owners and their pets.

Although none of the products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella, the company is pulling them from store shelves as a precaution. Diamond Pet Foods is coordinating efforts with federal and state health and regulatory agencies but decided to independently expand the recall to ensure the safety and well-being of customers and their pets.

To determine if your pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags. Any production codes that have a number 2 or a 3 in the 9th or 10th digit and an X in the 11th digit in the production code should be discarded. The best before dates are December 9, 2012, through April 7, 2013.

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states and Canada. Further distribution to other pet food channels may have occurred.

Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Canada

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 am 6pm EST. Consumers may also go to diamondpetrecall.com for more information. The company is working with distributors and retailers to ensure all affected product is removed from shelves.

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian. We do not have any confirmed reports of pet illnesses.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people who believe they may have been exposed to Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have received a limited number of reports of salmonellosis, the illness caused by Salmonella. We are working with the CDC, but due to patient confidentiality, we cannot comment further.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
For more information, please visit diamondpetrecall.com.
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Dooney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Well that's the final straw for me. I've been considering switching off Taste of the Wild since the news of the suspension of deliveries and shut down of the entire South Carolina plant. This seals the deal for me, tomorrow morning I'm picking up a bag of Orijen 6 Fish and switching from TotW Pacific Stream Puppy to Orijen 6 Fish as quickly as my pup's stomach will allow.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yup. Saw this today.
Diamond Expands Voluntary Recall Diamond Pet Recall |

I was using Canidae but now I just want to get away from Diamond as a company. Voluntary or not.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah, I am beyond disgusted with Diamond. For me it's not even about the recall, because recalls happen all the time, but with how they have handled it. They have had potentially contaminated foods sitting on shelves, in people's cupboards, and going into customers pets bowls for a month now and they just keep expanding the recall every week. It's sickening. If there was ever even a question of whether other brands and formulas were affected they should have pulled everything off the market right off the bat. Take the financial hit for the sake of the health of your customers and their pets and be honest about what's going on.
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
Yeah, I am beyond disgusted with Diamond. For me it's not even about the recall, because recalls happen all the time, but with how they have handled it. They have had potentially contaminated foods sitting on shelves, in people's cupboards, and going into customers pets bowls for a month now and they just keep expanding the recall every week. It's sickening. If there was ever even a question of whether other brands and formulas were affected they should have pulled everything off the market right off the bat. Take the financial hit for the sake of the health of your customers and their pets and be honest about what's going on.
I'm bothered by it too. I hate getting these emails every week. I really hope that everybody's pets stay healthy.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

WOW

I returned a bag with an expiration date of March 2013 (right in the middle of those dates) produced in SC about 2 weeks ago.......The odor was terrible! Glad I had only fed one bowl of it. ........ of course I was told no reason, everything all good, with the food but I refused it. Glad I did. Got them to send me a 2nd bag of Fromm instead.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Holy crap.. My bf works for a pet store. One of his coworkers feeds Chicken Soup and her dog is at the emergency vet right now with Salmonella..I'll be returning my dog food tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well, I have been expecting it, 4Health is one of them. I have a bitch with the runs, and then there are the puppies.

So I called TSC and asked what they are doing about the recall.

The Diamond one?
Yeah, Diamond, Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, 4Health...

No, it's just the Diamond Naturals.

Uhm, no it's not, its a list of them.

Well I have nothing on that.

Well I am reading it right here on the internet, Diamond expands recall...

Ok, I will look into it.

I gave her my name and number and she did call me back about half an hour later.

She said that when they had the Diamond, they checked all the mfg codes and none of the were from SC. So I asked if they would probably send all the different brands from the same plants. She did not know how the supply with the distributors works, so she didn't know.

I told her that I have been looking for a while for the x's and have not seen any. But I have had some problems with this last bag, we'll see if we can clean that up.

Frankly Salmonella does not worry that much, not for healthy adult dogs. But it does worry me with pregnant females, and weanlings. And it worries me for me.

My dad says I am nuts because I feed them raw chicken and that is a lot more likely to have Salmonella. That is probably how I got sick. But who knows, really.

Anyhow the nasty bag is finished, now I need to scrub out the container with hot soapy water, and let it dry thoroughly and just keep checking the date codes and hope and pray it really isn't anything.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

UGH! I will be calling the pet store I purchased a bag of Diamond Hi-Energy from, hopefully I can just get my money back from them. I was using it to help put weight on Izzy. I was a bit reserved about purchasing Diamond, but they boast on the bag "151 Checks" for safety, quality and how carefully they screen the food they produce now. What a bunch of bull!!!!

Best Dog Food | Diamond Pet Foods
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Selzer - My friend's dog is a healthy adult, and she came down with it. Be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.