TOTW voluntary recall... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also, I just saw something about Natural Balance being effected...Looking into it now.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Diamond makes so many foods, kirtland, candiae, taste of the wild, 4 heath, solid gold, natural balance, wellness and the list goes on and on and on. It is hard to find good food that is reasonably priced that is not made by diamond.

Salmonella is usually not so terrible, usually. I am worried though. But I have been looking on my bags for a while. Will check them all again. I hope they aren't lying to us.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah I'm a little confused how we can feed our dogs raw meat and never have an issue but when a kibble has salmonella it's scary? I'm far from an expert but does it change at all after it's processed or something? I switched off of TOTW a while ago when this whole thing got started becuase it made me nervous and I had the same stinky bag problem that jocoyn had. Can anyone clarify about the difference between raw chicken and kibble with salmonella?

Also, GatorDog, is your friend in touch with Diamond? They should probably be informed that there is now at least one case of salmonella that could have come from their recall.

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

In all the reports I have seen from Diamond they keep saying there have been no reported cases of illness tied to these recalls. Well, it looks like that is another lie: Vitals - Recalled dog food tied to salmonella outbreak
Ken Clean-Air System is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
Also, GatorDog, is your friend in touch with Diamond? They should probably be informed that there is now at least one case of salmonella that could have come from their recall.
She will be after this evening. Getting the paperwork from vet and date codes from the bags and sending it all in. The store that she bought the bag didn't even have any bags with the "effected" date codes. This bag was supposed to be safe..
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Also, I just saw something about Natural Balance being effected...Looking into it now.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/NB_recall.html

here you go. No surprise here, I took the hint when the news first came out and returned my TOTW and will never go back
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

And yet it is my raw diet that is going to kill my dog from salmonella poisoning...

Odd that none of the meat I buy has ever been subject to a salmonella recall that I'm aware of.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashadog View Post
Yeah I'm a little confused how we can feed our dogs raw meat and never have an issue but when a kibble has salmonella it's scary? I'm far from an expert but does it change at all after it's processed or something? I switched off of TOTW a while ago when this whole thing got started becuase it made me nervous and I had the same stinky bag problem that jocoyn had. Can anyone clarify about the difference between raw chicken and kibble with salmonella?

when you expose the little salmonella bacteria to the high pressure and temperatures of the extrusion process, it turns little salmonellas into super-salmonellas, able to survive super high temperatures, run through high pressures, and leap from dog bowl to butt to humans in a single bound.

I know its not funny when I am deathly afraid for my girls and my baby puppies.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Here's another story I just found:

Salmonella in dog food sickens 14 people in US
By JEFFREY COLLINS and HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH
Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Fourteen people in at least nine states have been sickened by salmonella after handling tainted dog food from a South Carolina plant that made headlines years ago when it produced food contaminated by toxic mold that killed dozens of dogs, federal officials said Friday.
At least five people were hospitalized because of the dog food, which was made by Diamond Pet Foods at its plant in Gaston, S.C., the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No pets were sickened, according to the Meta, Mo.-based company.
"People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods," said CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell.
Three people each were infected in Missouri and North Carolina; two people in Ohio; and one person each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, the CDC said.
"Our folks are really wanting people to be aware of it. They want to be aware that this is causing people to get sick because they may have product in their homes. For every one that is reported, there may be 29 others," Russell said.
People can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food, health officials said.
The South Carolina plant temporarily was shut down April 8. Diamond Pet Foods has issued four rounds of recalls for food made at the plant, located outside of Columbia, S.C., between Dec. 9 and April 7. The latest recalls were announced Friday.
"We took corrective actions at the plant, and today the plant is up and running. Our mission is to produce safe pet foods for our customers and their pets in all Diamond facilities," the company said in a written statement Friday.
In 2005, a toxic mold called aflatoxin ended up in food made at the same Diamond Pet Foods plant in South Carolina and dozens of dogs died. The company offered a $3.1 million settlement. The Food and Drug Administration determined the deadly fungus likely got into the plant when it failed to test 12 shipments of corn.
FDA officials were not immediately available for comment Friday on the most recent problems with the plant.
Agriculture officials in Michigan found the strain of salmonella during routine testing of dog food on April 2 and health investigators noticed there was a possible link to the food made by Diamond Pet Foods. An ill person still had some of the food, and authorities were able to link the cases to the food, the CDC said.
The recall covers a number of pet food brands made at the Gaston plant, including Canidae, Natural Balance, Apex, Kirkland, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health and Taste of the Wild.
---
Hollingsworth reported from Kansas City, Mo.

Salmonella in dog food sickens 14 people in US
By JEFFREY COLLINS and HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH
Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Fourteen people in at least nine states have been sickened by salmonella after handling tainted dog food from a South Carolina plant that made headlines years ago when it produced food contaminated by toxic mold that killed dozens of dogs, federal officials said Friday.
At least five people were hospitalized because of the dog food, which was made by Diamond Pet Foods at its plant in Gaston, S.C., the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No pets were sickened, according to the Meta, Mo.-based company.
"People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods," said CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell.
Three people each were infected in Missouri and North Carolina; two people in Ohio; and one person each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, the CDC said.
"Our folks are really wanting people to be aware of it. They want to be aware that this is causing people to get sick because they may have product in their homes. For every one that is reported, there may be 29 others," Russell said.
People can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food, health officials said.
The South Carolina plant temporarily was shut down April 8. Diamond Pet Foods has issued four rounds of recalls for food made at the plant, located outside of Columbia, S.C., between Dec. 9 and April 7. The latest recalls were announced Friday.
"We took corrective actions at the plant, and today the plant is up and running. Our mission is to produce safe pet foods for our customers and their pets in all Diamond facilities," the company said in a written statement Friday.
In 2005, a toxic mold called aflatoxin ended up in food made at the same Diamond Pet Foods plant in South Carolina and dozens of dogs died. The company offered a $3.1 million settlement. The Food and Drug Administration determined the deadly fungus likely got into the plant when it failed to test 12 shipments of corn.
FDA officials were not immediately available for comment Friday on the most recent problems with the plant.
Agriculture officials in Michigan found the strain of salmonella during routine testing of dog food on April 2 and health investigators noticed there was a possible link to the food made by Diamond Pet Foods. An ill person still had some of the food, and authorities were able to link the cases to the food, the CDC said.
The recall covers a number of pet food brands made at the Gaston plant, including Canidae, Natural Balance, Apex, Kirkland, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health and Taste of the Wild.
---
Hollingsworth reported from Kansas City, Mo.
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Dooney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
And yet it is my raw diet that is going to kill my dog from salmonella poisoning...

Odd that none of the meat I buy has ever been subject to a salmonella recall that I'm aware of.
Salmonella is pretty much to be expected in raw chicken. That is why you do things like bleach your countertops after handling it. Most healthy dogs can handle it just fine. We usually cannot. Weak dogs cannot.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.