German Shepherds Forum banner

Best experience with online dog food retailers

4K views 31 replies 30 participants last post by  EJQ 
#1 ·
Goodness it seems I buy everything online anymore but honestly with better prices......and the convenience factor (and I even pay the sales tax to my state like you are *supposed* to)--I figure its trucked around the country anyway you cut it.....

I would love to hear about experiences people have had with the various vendors. I am on the East Coast but I am looking for those with the freshest food. With a new puppy coming in I am sterring away from TOTW (calcium) and Natrual Balance (protein). Breeder is currently feeding Fromm though I am also looking at Acana.

So- the goal here is *NOT* to discuss the foods but to discuss the companies that people have dealt with.

#2 ·
I'll be watching this thread. I've heard that food can be cheaper online, but I've never looked into it at all. With 1 large dog & a quickly growing puppy, I'll be going through food more often than I will want to go to the store.

#6 ·
When I fed kibble I used DogFoodDirect.com

Dog Food, Cat Food, Supplements and Treats at DogFoodDirect

Subsidized shipping is available in much of the Midwest which kept their foods more reasonably priced. They also carry Nature's Logic which was one of my favorite kibbles. They made a few mistakes but they always made it right. They were very, very willing to do a full refund & pick up the food when I got the wrong Canidae flavor. I had to convince 'em that really wasn't necessary. (IF mine had allergies my answer might have been different)

#11 ·
Another vote for Chewy. I've had good luck and they are very responsive to customers. I've placed an order and called and changed it with no issue. They also refunded no questions another time (I really think it was the dog food company, not Chewy. I had a similar issue when buying the food locally, too. Bad batch maybe).

#14 ·
I buy kibble from my local store, 10 bags at a time. The owner of the store gives me the hairy eyeball because I never buy stuff from the bakery or toy section, and he's told me they make no money off food. He's friendly, and runs a good business, though, and I like supporting local small businesses. With Canidae I have a rebate program, 1 bag free for every five I buy, so that helps.

I looked into buying online but prices weren't lower, and then there is all that extra packaging, and concern about the food being left outside if I'm not home.

I buy chew treats, flea/tick, heartworm meds, vaccines, adequan, and toys-tugs online, usually just Amazon or Dr. Foster and Smith. I like Gun Dog Supply for some things, and the specialty dog-sport retailers for tugs. My friend at the town dump collects tennis balls and other dog-type toys for me... the advantages of a small town...

Quality sport dog gear and toys are available through very small retailers on Facebook or Etsy.

When I did price comparisons, I was surprised that Dr. Foster and Smith usually have the lowest prices of any other online retailer for flea/tick, heartworm, and rawhide (USA Made) - including lower than Amazon- and they send me gift certificates all the time. They also sent me a free bag of 35 count rawhides when I called to tell them the bones I'd ordered were small. So I've been happy with customer service, and quality.

#15 ·
I also use chewy. I have a subscription and our food is sent automatically every 2 weeks. It's easy to delay or speed up a shipment, shipping is free, and prices seem reasonable. I've never had to return or have anything refunded, so don't know how that process works.

#19 ·
Another vote for Chewy. I've been using them for the past year, and am very happy with them.

#21 ·
I've only had one order through Chewy.com so far, but I give it a big thumbs up! After I ordered my bag of food, I realized I should order a couple other things since I was getting free shipping; I did a quick online chat with a Representative and he easily added my items to my order with no problem. Then, when I got home from work, I remembered I had a 20% off coupon that I had gotten in the mail when I registered a few weeks back. I simply replied to my order confirmation email letting them know what happened and asking if I could still use the coupon and within 5 minutes I got a reply saying they would just credit my debit card $15 (even though $15 was no where near 20% of my Order (after my new customer discounts, my order total was like $42.)

So, again, many thanks for the awesome recommendation!

#24 ·
Another one that's good for non-kibble feeders is Only Natural Pet (onlynaturalpet.com) -- they have great sales/coupons that can be used for The Honest Kitchen, Ziwi Peak (or ONP's own line of dehydrated food), etc. It's about the best deal going for the pricey dehydrated foods. Use Ebates.com for a few percent back.

All you Chewy customers who have AmEx cards ought to log in to the American Express website. They've been running $10 back promos for Chewy that you can attach to your card, but you only get them if you select the promo to activate it in your account. They had one for Best Bully Sticks recently too. These promos show up as a statement credit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.