Turmeric - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

I am not sure if it is possible to OD on turmeric. (I knew some people who ate raw turmeric on a daily basis -- the ones that look kind of like a knobbly little finger. Their skin was amazing as a result.) A bigger barrier may be the taste if too much is added to the food. But then that's what we have the turmeric caps for. Initial doses might need to be aggressive to help with the arthritis.

Ground turmeric is also a powerful wound healer because of its anti-microbial properties. Usually, turmeric powder or paste is applied pretty liberally on the wound itself and it really helps speed up the healing process. The paste is going to be a lot less messy of course but be careful, it stains like crazy! You should see my kitchen counters I cook a LOT with turmeric.
UConnGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for the update, that's great that it's been working and that now you've been able to confirm it!

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Interesting - wonder if this relates to Grim's apparent kidney stones where we acidified the urine with diet and cleared up: Turmeric and oxalate. I was reading up because I have been eating a number of dark leafy greens and feel like maybe I could be getting a kidney stone (I had one years ago.......) The dose was not that thigh in the experimental study.

Effect of cinnamon and turmeric on urinary oxalate excretion, plasma lipids, and plasma glucose in healthy subjects
Turmeric
Is Turmeric Bad For Your Kidneys? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Turmeric benefit and side effects, powder extract for treating medical conditions
Counterpoint
Curcumin and Kidney Health

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
If you have a truck or SUV get a RAMP. I am certain a lifetime of jumping out of crates in the back of a pickup truck did a number on his back and shoulders
Jocoyn, I couldn't agree more!! My GSD goes to work with me. 90 lbs banging onto his neck, shoulders, and elbows 4 times a day (we go out for lunch) did some serious damage. We recently got a ramp for my SUV and Traveler is already showing improvement. Now he waits for me to extend the ramp for exiting; he's no dummy
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.