What the best food brand to feed your German Shepherd? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_ View Post
Hi, guys iam having hard time chooseing which food brand is best for my
7 month old German Shepherd?
The best food is the one your dog loves! absolutely. you will see drastic differences when feeding them food from demeanor changes to energy levels to skin or coat changes. among many other things up to and including there stool going hard to mushy to liquidy. just be sure when trying all the options you do a slow progression with the changes and dogs are like people they do need different flavors and will not eat at times like people because they just dont want to or because they are bored of there food.

In my personal opinion on food however home made raw food diets (not cheap i know) are the best way if you have the time and energy (it is time consuming to prepare and store) to feed your dog. its cleaner and you know there is no throw away parts or any weird add ins to the food or chemicals.

let me know if you want any more advise on the raw home made food
wessongsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would stick with as high end premium kibble as you can afford if you are going the kibble route. The higher ones are pricier at the register but usually not that much more expensive to actually feed! You can't go only by the foods they like as mine would love Gainesburger. Some people have found the Orijen Large Breed Puppy rich for their puppies but mine have adapted after awhile.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITTani View Post
I believe that Davey Benson forgot to add the link....but this is what I used to determine what to feed my puppy. Dog Food Reviews by Brand

Doh!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have been recommending the 6 stars food i.e. orijen, totw, acana, evo, etc... on this forum because that's all my 3 years old gsd has had with good results. She looks healthy, and we have had only one really bad ear infection a few months ago.
But very recently, I took a second look at the marketing material offered by Royal Canin GSD 24 (an inferior food according to dogfoodanalysis), and I thought that if royal canin has been addressing the same health concerns over many years by using the same specific ingredients in their formula and still be around, they must be doing something right. Moreover, the gsds that I have seen at the dog park fed with gsd 24 looked beautiful and full of energy. So I started to feed the gsd 24 formula to mine, and what I see after a month is a more energetic dog with all signs of better health (a bit leaner, stools, softer shiny coat, even though it feels greasier).
I know that dogs are carnivores and that there's a lot of talk about dogs not meant to eat corn and grains, but I caught my dog several times in the past stealing corn cobs out of the trash and eating it all.
I start to think that royal canin has a serious formula based on 30 years + of real research, and this must not be just all marketing. They would not be around if their food is as bad as how dogfoodanalysis describes it.

It's been a month now that my dog has been on a diet made of 60% GSD24, 20% EVO red meat, 20% canadae. For her GSD24 works at least as well if not better that what she has had in the past.
ChrisR2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

My dog was on RC puppy, then RC German Shepherd. She always had very loose stools and was not gaining a lot of weight. I tried changing her food 5 times to different kibble that was better than RC according to the surveys, she still had loose stool and still not gaining any weight. A month and a half ago I switcher her to Raw, the kind you buy already made and frozen. They say you should switch a food slowly so you don't get loose stools, well she already had them so I just switched. From the very very first feeding of Raw until today she had not had one single loose stool. We are very shocked but it is true, she has also gained 4 lbs and can still use a few more lbs. The Raw I am using is much cheaper than kibble but the blood grosses me out. I would rather pay more and feed kibble if it worked for her but it doesn't. I'm not saying Raw is for everyone, but it sure is working for my girl. Not sure if I should be giving her a vitamin with it also, I will have to look into that. Good luck choosing your food.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.