Just Want Facts - Taste Of The Wild - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just Want Facts - Taste Of The Wild

Well Im switching my guy over to an adult food, and I was recently in Tractor Supply and picked up a bad of TOTW Bison formula, he loves it...I mean loves it.

Now, I know Diamond owns them now but Ive done my research and everyone has a different answer to that...such as Diamond only handles the bagging, Taste Of The Wild has their own processing plant that Diamond dosent involve in...and another one that Diamond does everything.

So what is it, and from what I understand people say they are a bad company but why? Also has TOTW changed since Diamond bought them?

If I shouldn't feed Axel this food, what grain free food should I feed? Raw is out of the question btw.

Brown314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown314 View Post
Also has TOTW changed since Diamond bought them?
Diamond didn't buy TOTW from anybody, it has always been made by Diamond. Diamond does manufacture TOTW, they don't just bag it on behalf of somebody else.

Me, I've got no issues with Diamond. I feed another food made by them and am very happy with it. I fed TOTW and had only one problem, I got one bag of food that was a different color and smell than the other bags I had fed, my very sensitive tummy boy got sick from the sudden change.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Diamond was involved a recall years ago… Read this
Diamond Dog Food Recall and Aflatoxin / Melamine in Pet Foods - FAQ
But realize it is on another companys website…. And this:
snopes.com: Diamond Pet Food Recall

More authoritative:

Pet Food Recall Products List
List of recalls for Pet Food Products from DIAMOND

I did weeks of research, and I am feeding my dogs and cat Diamond Naturals and TOTW. I really believe in going grain-free, eventually they will all be grain free. I am doing a slow transition on all dogs except Chopper, who is a cancer survivor and she is eating TOTW now.
I am not going to dwell on what happened years ago, my dogs sure don't. A lot of people "don't like" Diamond…. but there were plenty of other foods involved in the Menu foods recall….. that people "like"!! This article has a list of the foods affected by the Menu foods recall:
2007 pet food recalls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do your research, make your own decisions….
Chopper the Drama Queen CGC, Boxer NUT, ScH prospect
"My furs are not in storage, nor lying on the bed,
they're dancing 'round my feet, waiting to be fed."
lanaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Me, I've got no issues with Diamond. I feed another food made by them and am very happy with it. I fed TOTW and had only one problem, I got one bag of food that was a different color and smell than the other bags I had fed, my very sensitive tummy boy got sick from the sudden change.
We got a case of the canned food (High Prairie) not too long ago and the cans were mislabeled, it was fish. (not sure what it's called)
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I also feed TOTW, Stosh absolutely loves it. I agree with Emoore and lanlaw, the recall was years ago and my dog is doing well on it so I can't see boycotting it forever. Stosh needs a grain free and limited chicken intake so I'm sticking with it. Diamond also makes 4Health, available at Tractor Supply. Our breeder has been using it and it happy with it, along with the raw meals they feed. Like Emoore says, do the research and go with what works for your dog.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I also feed TOTW, right now they are eating the High prairie(Bison) and no problems.
I am not that concerned about a recall a few years ago, there are way more human food recalls that we hear hear about every couple of months or so...ground beef, eggs, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese...well you get the idea.
mygsdandme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

The facts:

Diamond owns and has always owned TOTW. They are in charge of the manufacturing. (Opinion: I've always thought they avoided putting the Diamond name on the TOTW product to get away from bad publicity).

TOTW has been involved in a couple of "voluntary recalls" because... well... because I don't really know why. I DO know that people's dogs were having diarrhea and vomiting issues, and some were refusing to eat it altogether. I spoke with a few different Diamond reps and got different answers each time. "There is too much protein in the food." "There is an alternate protein source in the food." They would NOT identify the "alternate protein source.

I also know plenty of people who feed and have fed TOTW without issues. My only personal experience with it was when Luna was younger, and she got loose stool from it and never was able to get used to it.

Diamond has recently eliminated ethoxyquin from their foods (including TOTW) so I wouldn't hestiate as much to feed it now (if I didn't feed raw). I do think there are a lot of better options out there (like Acana Provincial), but it certainly isn't the worst food out there, either.
Rott-n-GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I feed my GSD and my 3 cats TOTW, I rotate all 4 formulas for the dog and rotate the 2 formulas for the cats.

We have had no problems.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown314 View Post

Now, I know Diamond owns them now but Ive done my research and everyone has a different answer to that...such as Diamond only handles the bagging, Taste Of The Wild has their own processing plant that Diamond dosent involve in...and another one that Diamond does everything.

I was told by someone who fed Natural Balance that a rep told them the same thing. I find it hard to believe food would be made, come down a conveyor belt of sorts and get all piled in a truck or some other container to be taken to a plant to be unloaded and then bagged by a pet food manufacturer that makes other foods. I just don't believe it. I've seen enough manufacturing plant videos to know that bagging is the last step. And this would be highly unlikely and also a rather expensive step in the process to haul food to another plant. Also, how can a production run, date and time stamp be accurately put on a bag? It can't - that would be a bagging stamp them....not a production run stamp. If a company is making the kibble they are bagging the kibble.
rjvamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It kills me that people boycot a food because of a recall. Out of curiosity, do you keep a list of all the human foods that are recalled and then never eat those, and then go so far as to recommend that others don't either?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.