8 month old GSD-weight? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)

Kaska is 60 lbs, lean and strong @ 7 mo. Very very active.
Ruby Girl 7/1/03 Aussie/Heeler
Kaska's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #32 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kastle is 8 months old and 55 lbs. He is extremely athletic. Plus, I don't think he looks that small for his weight - if that makes sense...here are two pictures of him next to his half-brother, who is 90 lbs. Kastle is the sable, Ike is the bicolor.

Limit (Kelpie)
Jentry (GSD)
FG167 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

I've been searching everywhere (within 200 miles of NC) for a breeder of small standard size GDS's to no avail! I see many oversized dogs, but none that will mature at the small side of breed standard. I'd love to get a male that will be fully mature at 65 lbs. Can anyone help?
bethany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany View Post
I've been searching everywhere (within 200 miles of NC) for a breeder of small standard size GDS's to no avail! I see many oversized dogs, but none that will mature at the small side of breed standard. I'd love to get a male that will be fully mature at 65 lbs. Can anyone help?
That is just outside the low end of the standard for a male. If you want a GSD to be no more than 65 pounds you should consider getting a female, and looking at lines that are generally producing dogs at the lower end of the breed standard. For males that's approximately 66-88 pounds and females from about 48-1/2 to 70-1/2 pounds, as converted from kgs. Halo is 3 years old and right around the midpoint of the standard for a female at 60 pounds.

I don't think you're going to find anyone intentionally breeder UNDERsized GSDs.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Kastle is 8 months old and 55 lbs. He is extremely athletic. Plus, I don't think he looks that small for his weight - if that makes sense...here are two pictures of him next to his half-brother, who is 90 lbs. Kastle is the sable, Ike is the bicolor.

WOW, they are BOTH gorgeous!!
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post

I was wondering if I was the only person with a tiny 8 month old!

Ali is 50lbs at 8 months and in perfect body condition..

http://www.zstojatevody.com
BritneyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

Default My Female is 8 months and 52LBs

my German Shepherd Dog Bailey just turned 8 months old on the 7th of this month and she weighed in at 52 Lbs the other day. Just wondering if this is normal weight or is she really light.

She does not eat that much really, I feed her 1 cup three times a day of blue buffalo, but when i put her second meal out she wont eat it, and for dinner i put another scoop in and she always leaves some leftovers.

Prior to Blue Buffalo wilderness i had her on Nutro Ultra and she had the same problem with that. I am thinking about starting a Raw Diet because many of the people at the Shutzhund club i went to have there dogs on a raw diet.

Idk should i be concerned about her weight or is her weight okay. I read that a couple of people had there dogs at 55lbs at 8 months but i mean i guess that is only 3 more lbs then mine. The Vet also said she was healthy but all of her brothers and sisters weight in the 60s and 70s idk.
KayC427 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #38 (permalink)
JPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayC427 View Post
my German Shepherd Dog Bailey just turned 8 months old on the 7th of this month and she weighed in at 52 Lbs the other day. Just wondering if this is normal weight or is she really light.

She does not eat that much really, I feed her 1 cup three times a day of blue buffalo, but when i put her second meal out she wont eat it, and for dinner i put another scoop in and she always leaves some leftovers.

Prior to Blue Buffalo wilderness i had her on Nutro Ultra and she had the same problem with that. I am thinking about starting a Raw Diet because many of the people at the Shutzhund club i went to have there dogs on a raw diet.

Idk should i be concerned about her weight or is her weight okay. I read that a couple of people had there dogs at 55lbs at 8 months but i mean i guess that is only 3 more lbs then mine. The Vet also said she was healthy but all of her brothers and sisters weight in the 60s and 70s idk.
seems totally normal to me. our dog was around 60 pounds at 8 months and now at 1.5 years is 72. He has gained over 6 pounds since turning 1. Many people have gsd's that are outside the standards which makes it look like dogs who are within them are outliers.
I expect our male to top out at 80 pounds at the max. His sire was 85 pounds.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #39 (permalink)

I know this is an old thread, but FWIW I have an eight YEAR old GSD that is 50-52lbs.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #40 (permalink)

My boy is west german Showlines and he is eight months old and 66 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.