How much do you feed you GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow How much do you feed you GSD?

My 8 month old German Shepherd Bandit is recieving 2 cups in the AM and 2 cups in the PM. Someone told me I am over feeding him.... That he should only get 2 cups all day. I was wondering how much should I be feeding him at his age? Am I over feeding him? An when he is a year old how much adult food should he be eating a day? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

It depends on what type of food he is on. With some of the lesser quality kibble you need to feed more to receive optimum nutrion/calories. What the premium brands that are cal dense you can feed less and achieve the same as feeding more of the other brand. Hope that makes sense, my brain is elsewhere today.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akk578 View Post
My 8 month old German Shepherd Bandit is recieving 2 cups in the AM and 2 cups in the PM. Someone told me I am over feeding him.... That he should only get 2 cups all day. I was wondering how much should I be feeding him at his age? Am I over feeding him? An when he is a year old how much adult food should he be eating a day? Thanks
I'm not an expert by any means. But I do know that it does depend on the weight of your dog. When I was feeding kibble, my vet said 1 cup per 10 lbs.
Mac's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What are you feeding? What kind of exercise is your pup getting? Hows his weight?

There are tons of variables when deciding how much to feed. There's nothing set in stone that says feed X amount Y amount of times. It really depends on the dog.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Matty is 8 months 64 lbs and she gets fed diamond natural lamb & rice. I feed her 4-5 cups a day and would actually like her to gain a little weight, but as soon as I feed her more than that she gets soft stools...so I am trying to add a little more throughout the day while training.
we4elves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

My male, Bruno is 75 pounds and 10 months old and he gets about 5 cups a day. He has a fairly high level activity each day but because of his age and activity level, looks thin. I constantly hear comments about why I'm not feeding enough but always from people who don't understand the breed and how they're supposed to look while young so it's in one ear and out the other. I adjust more or less on activity level and if they're knocking their bowls around for more after licking it clean or whether or not there's extra left over when they walk away.
Like everyone else says, it's dependent on several factors, activity level, current weight, and such. I CAN tell you that 2 cups all day is FAR TOO LITTLE for an 8 month old GSD. I would really think about what you're feeding sounds about right. 2 cups a day will get you a dog that's starving all the time.

Speak softly and own a big, mean German Shepherd.
LeftyGinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cody get's 4 cups a day as he is losing weight.
Isa get's 2 cups a day.
Akbar eats about 2lbs of raw in the morning and 2 cups of Orijen at night as he has a very fast metabolism.
mjbgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My 9 month old Dutch Shepherd puppy, about 50 pounds is getting 4 cups a day of grain-free Evo. My older dogs get half as much. It's weird.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac's Mom View Post
I'm not an expert by any means. But I do know that it does depend on the weight of your dog. When I was feeding kibble, my vet said 1 cup per 10 lbs.
Shows you that you shouldn't listen to your vet. If your dog's bones are sticking out, feed more, if he's getting fat, feed less. All dogs are different, and all food is different.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac's Mom View Post
Holy *bleep*! Rayden would be getting almost 9 cups of food a day! Of course, if he was eating cheap store brand food, then he'd NEED that much.

As it is, he eats 4 cups a day, with some eggs/cottage cheese/what not added in on occasion.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.