How much and how often should i feed my pup?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)

Default How much and how often should i feed my pup??

Ive been reading the threads about how much too feed and Ive noticed most people feed their pups 4-5 cups a day...

My pup Luke is now 22 weeks, he weighs about 55lbs; he pretty lean. I usually feed him in a 2 quart tupperware container so thats 8 cups?? The reason I feed him in the tupperware container is cause he never finishes his food; and the ants and birds usually end up getting in his food. So I just cover it up and put it away and I keep putting it out for him but he always nibbles here and there...

My question is should i feed him 4-6 cups a day only once, at night time.. cause i noticed in the mornin hes not hungry; even after our daily 6 mile hike.. In the evening is when he really digs into his food..

Also i posted a Thread about Kirkland food, not sure if its causing him to have loos stools..What if I switched to the Kirkland adult food instead?
Ludogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

why do ants and birds get into his food?

loose stools could be caused by him being over fed, 8 cups a day is a ton of food. I feed Orijen and feed about 3 1/2 - 4 cups a day for an 80lb 11 month old

I would also advise against once a day feeding

Sage 6-5-09
Facebook
sagelfn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

usually i have him eat outside, and we got a ton of sparrows cruizin the neighborhood for food, the neighbor also feeds her dog outside so they just sit on the fence and wait for the dogs to walk away from the bowl and come and pilledge and plunder..
( i know i didnt spell pilledge right) also we have a lot of ants and they get in the food.

thats why i started using a tupperware, so i can cover the food and bring it in.. the problem is I feel he should be eating more cause he's a pup.. i noticed most people feed their adult dogs 4-5 cups a day.. based on the threads that i read..

he usually doesnt eat the whole eight cups he'll leave a little bit.. thats why im asking.. I tried using the free method..(just leave the food out and let him eat all he wants).. but i know hes gonna get overweight.
I take him walking with me about 2 hours a day,its about six miles.. so i felt he should eat more cause of the energy he burns..

so should i feed him once a day? or twice? on the bag it says 3 1/3 - 4 1/2 a day but it doesnt say once or twice a day..

my theory is if i feed him once a day then he'll be really hungry and eat all his food.. Also one lady at the park told me i should leave the food out for 5 minutes and if he doesnt eat take it away.. but then he'll never eat it takes a while to finish his food..however i would need some advice from someone with experience with proper feeding habits..
with my lil weenie dog, i feed him 2 cups twice a day.. no feeding issues with him...

Last edited by Ludogg; 05-04-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my feelings on once a day feedings...

I would hate to only eat once a day I would be so hungry by bedtime i'm sure my dog would too. Also, I feel it would increase the risk of bloat..that is a ton of food to try to digest all at once. 2 or 3 times a day feeding is much better IMO.

someone more wise will probably comment on it but 6 miles a day for a 22wk old pup is too much stress on the body IMO.

If you are feeding 8 cups a day and not putting him on a feeding schedule that would explain why he doesn't want to eat at meal time. Start leaving the food for him 15-20 minutes and then taking it away if he hasn't started eating..dont feed him again until evening meal time.

Sage 6-5-09
Facebook
sagelfn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

sagelfn;

thanks.. that makes a lot of sense...I think ill just keep feeding him like i have a few times a day lil bit at a time..

maybe its the food; he doesnt like it?? in my experience most dogs ive ever had will gobble down anything you put in front of them...I guess every dog is different just like us..

But Luke is really picky... we brought him home early (5 weeks/ i know someone is gonna roast me and say thats way to young) cause his momma stopped feeding the pups and i had to give him furmula and crushed puupy food for a few weeks then we switched to furmula, crushed puppy food and canned food.. but after a couple weeks he would get tired of the food and stop eating, he would only eat just enough to survive.. finally i just started giving him dry food alone and he gradually started eating more. but he goes thru stages where he doesnt eat in a set pattern.. also he used to push so hard he would get bloody stools.. almost like hemroids.. but i noticed that stopped when i stopped giving him raw hide bones to chew on..

i know there are some well experienced people on this site that could prob shoot me some advice as to how to get his feeding right... i know it sounds dumb (aduhh..how many times a day should i feed my pup??) but ive also talked to people who suggest you should feed your dog once a day..

thanks for the advice i've learned alot on this site.. i hope i dont get roasted for asking stupid questions..haha
Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharbel Send a message via Skype™ to Sharbel

Try mixing some wet food like Pedigree Junior canned food with dry kibble ( I used the Royal Canin Junior). The wet food will soften the dry kibble and give it a better more attractive to your pet taste. If the dog though does not eat it within 15 minutes to 1/2 hour you should cover the dish and remove it to a cooler place.Usually dry food topped with wet food goes bad and gets smelly if not eaten so b prepared to throw it away and replace it with fresh one for the next meal time.

A pet of up to 3 months of age should not go first of all for walks as the vaccinations are hardly completed by then and long strenuous exercise and walks followed by 8 oz of dry food in one go may cause bloating which may prove fatal.

I would feed 3 oz of dry kibble with a topping of wet pate canned food 3 times a day: morning , midday and evening and always at least one hour before or at least one hour after going on walks or exercise.

Last edited by Sharbel; 05-04-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: To add text and correct typing mistakes ...
Sharbel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

First do not feed pedigree anything. I'd rather buy my dog big macs and whoppers for dinner over anything made by pedigree.

Feed twice a day, 12 hours apart if possible. The bag says 3.5-4.5 cups per day, so you'll want to feed about 2 cups per meal. So that's 2 cups in the AM and 2 cups in the PM.

The lady at the park gave you good advice about leaving the food down for a certain amount of time and then picking it up. My advice is to drop the food down for 10 minutes and if he's not at his bowl eating when that time's up, just pick it up and do the same thing for the next meal. If he's a slow eater, thats one thing, but if he takes a couple bites and just walks away, give him the 10 minutes and pick it up. If he's sitting there eating after the full 10 minutes (because he's a slow eater) are up, let him finish up until he walks away (or finishes his meal without walking away) from the bowl.

Don't worry about him not eating if he walks away from a meal or two. A healthy dog is not going to starve himself. He might walk away from a meal or two, but that won't last forever and he'll learn that meal time is time to eat and not time to play. He'll learn to eat his meal when you put it down and if he doesn't eat within those 10 minutes, he'll have to wait until the next meal. It's called tough love and it's a great training method. Take it from someone who still uses it to this day with a slow and picky eater.

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 05-04-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharbel Send a message via Skype™ to Sharbel

I do not know what's so wrong with anything Pedigree but he is now 6 1/2 years old and unless I mix his dry food with "anything Pedigree' he won't eat it. I know you will say leave him with the dry kibble he will not eat the AM meal, he may not eat the MD meal but eventually he will have no choice but to eat the PM meal!!!

If it is that bad then I may as well do just this.

I also top his kibble with...trimmed halloumi ( this is the traditional Cyprus cheese) and the dish disappears! The same goes for a topping of raw chicken egg on top of the kibble or topping of boiled pieces of lean chicken meat.

I avoid topping with egg and halloumi often though as I am scared of causing cholesterol levels to rise. He is in general a dairy product lover. He actually drinks every day half a pint of fresh cow milk. I know as someone already suggested and he may be correct fresh goat milk instead but we can not find it easily in the market. As I usually say if he or any other dog likes a food or a drink and this food or drink does not cause him any health problems why should I or anybody else change his eating and drinking habits? And to top the list he is a dry nuts lover too!!! He loves any kind of ..dry nuts from peanuts to cashew nuts to walnuts and .. pistachio!!! I do not know if other dogs have such eating preferences or if this is safe for a dog though...

Also please note that my advice for a 3 times a day feeding program goes for a puppy of up to 3 months of age. An adult dog like my Richie is fed 2 times a day only: morning and evening.

Last edited by Sharbel; 05-04-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Sharbel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbel View Post
I do not know what's so wrong with anything Pedigree but he is now 6 1/2 years old and unless I mix his dry food with "anything Pedigree' he won't eat it. I know you will say leave him with the dry kibble he will not eat the AM meal, he may not eat the MD meal but eventually he will have no choice but to eat the PM meal!!!
Pedigree has some of the absolute worst ingredients in their food when compared to some of the higher quality foods out there. From ingredients alone, you can do soooo much better.

Pedigree has everything from:

corn - that can cause allergies and can not be digested by dogs so is pointless to even be in the food to begin with let alone being the first ingredient. It's a filler.

by-products - feet, heads, basically anything left over that humans wont eat i.e. junk

"Animal" meals - unnamed which means it can be anything from racoons to roadkill to even dogs and cats.

And a bunch of other junk that has been discussed over and over here. Do you really trust a company that will include ingredients like that in their food when you could buy a kibble with much healthier and ethical ingredients? I personally do not, but i guess to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharbel View Post
He actually drinks every day half a pint of fresh cow milk.
Half a pint of milk, everyday?! I've never heard of anyone giving their dog milk like that on a daily basis. Is there a reason you do that? Milk is pretty fattening, is he overweight at all?

I'm not trying to critizice and sorry if i'm coming off that way, i've just never heard of anyone giving their dog milk like that.
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

I feed rambo 3 times a day 1 cup at a time. 6-7 hours apart Leave it out for 15-20 min (he is a real slow eater). Whatever is left I bring in and throw it back in the bag. I use blue buffalo large breed puppy.

Though his trainer said to feed him twice 12 hours apart 1.5 cups, it didnt work to good for him and he was pooping real soft. I would assume 8 cups is way to much for any dog. 4-5 seems to be average what I read on here, even for adults.

Important not to exercise them right before and especially right after eating. I personally wait at least 30 min after exercise or at least an hour before.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.