My GSD Stopped eating his food. HELP! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My GSD Stopped eating his food. HELP!

Hello. Diesel, my GSD will be 1 year old on April 22. We have fed him Eukanuba since he was about 5 months old. We also would mix in canned food (purina Alpo Beef chunks with homestyle gravy and sliced beef in gravy). He would eat it perfectly fine...however for about a week now he stopped eating his food. When i mix it with his dry food, he will just pick out the meat and leave the rest. I feel like he is loosing weight, as a result, we give him people food so he doesnt get skinner and at least that way he will eat something. He eats steamed rice and yogurt perfectly fine. i Also gave his 4 scrambled eggs...again ate them fine.

should we change his dog food? is eukanuba good? Which is a cheaper alternative? I was thinking about getting BLUE.
prncess23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Blue is not only cheaper but a much better quality IMO. Please do me and your dog a favor don't feed your him ALPO anymore

there are many many threads on here about good kibble. I would also advise you check out these websites

The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Sage 6-5-09
Facebook
sagelfn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess23 View Post
Hello. Diesel, my GSD will be 1 year old on April 22. We have fed him Eukanuba since he was about 5 months old. We also would mix in canned food (purina Alpo Beef chunks with homestyle gravy and sliced beef in gravy). He would eat it perfectly fine...however for about a week now he stopped eating his food. When i mix it with his dry food, he will just pick out the meat and leave the rest. I feel like he is loosing weight, as a result, we give him people food so he doesnt get skinner and at least that way he will eat something. He eats steamed rice and yogurt perfectly fine. i Also gave his 4 scrambled eggs...again ate them fine.

should we change his dog food? is eukanuba good? Which is a cheaper alternative? I was thinking about getting BLUE.
no healthy dog ever starved himself. after you are sure he is ok, i would put his food down and pick it up after a short while. He won't starve.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My question is could maybe you have accidentally gotten a bad bag of kibble since he's eating everything else except the Eukanuba?

One time when the Hooligans refused to eat their dinner (they only stop eating if they're sick) I got a call the next day from the feedstore that the brand I used had been recalled because of mold - and sure enough - that was the problem - all the bags I had were involved in the bad run. I exchanged the bags and they ate their meals after that without any problems.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Its not the a bad bag, because he has been eating food from that bag for about 2 months now.

his stool is good; normal color and viscosity. i think he is just picky. Vet exams are expensive. i dont think its necessary for me to take him to a vet. one of the most reliable indicators of a dog's health is his stool.

the weird thing is...he eats eggs, sticky rice and yogurt mixed (i heard its good for his coat and helps decrease his shedding), but like i said...he just picks out the meat from the canned food from his dry food...picky dog. lol.

i thought eukanuba was a high end brand and good quality too...at $60 a bag i thought it was! lol. I think im going to switch him to Blue. The weird thing is, his vet recommended eukanuba.

he hasnt eat anything straight for a week...he will eat on and off. I think he looks skinny because he is growing..(?). He is a big boy though. Ill post up a picture of him.

He is also shedding...a lot for a few months now. is that normal? Its coat is starting to get black/darker on the top...
Attached Thumbnails
My GSD Stopped eating his food. HELP!-25255_561986118431_28002000_32643993_5516046_n.jpg   My GSD Stopped eating his food. HELP!-25255_561986243181_28002000_32643994_6185600_n.jpg  
prncess23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

it's absolutely a necessity to take your dog
to the Vet when it's not eating right
or feeling bad. Vet care is one of the things
you figure into dogs maintance before you
bring a dog home. <

are you feeding your dog plain/organic yogurt
or the kind with sugar in it? <

at $60.00 a bag you can afford a good quality
of food. <

once you take your dog to the Vet to make
sure he's ok you should switch your brand
of food.<

my dog stopped eating his kibble. once i switch brands
he was fine. sometimes they stop liking what
they're being fed. <

i feed my dog several brands of kibble and can
food. he also gets raw ground beef, fresh fish,
fresh veggies, cooked boneless and skinless
chicken breast, fruit, organic yogurt and
table scraps depending what they are <

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess23 View Post
i dont think its necessary for me to take him to a vet. one of the most reliable indicators of a dog's health is his stool.

the weird thing is...he eats eggs, sticky rice and yogurt mixed (i heard its good for his coat and helps decrease his shedding), but like i said...he just picks out the meat from the canned food from his dry food...picky dog. lol.

i thought eukanuba was a high end brand and good quality too...at $60 a bag i thought it was! lol. I think im going to switch him to Blue. The weird thing is, his vet recommended eukanuba.

he hasnt eat anything straight for a week...he will eat on and off. I think he looks skinny because he is growing..(?). He is a big boy though. Ill post up a picture of him.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The reason he isn't eating the kibble, is because it probably tastes bad compared to the canned food, yogurt/eggs etc you've been feeding.
I agree, look at the links above for info on good nutrition choices.
My dogs don't eat kibble and I'm not sure they would if other options were available.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

based on those pics, he certainly does not look too skinny at all (though its easier to tell from the side standing up).

i cant believe eukanuba makes anything that is $60 a bag. that is closer to the price of a high quality grainless food, which are in a whole different league from eukanuba (as are pretty much every food with grains that would run that high).

...and it is not weird that the vet recommended eukanuba. it is a general consensus on every dog forum i belong to that most vets are not well versed in dog nutrition and spend surprisingly little time on it in veterinary school. furthermore, Hills (makers of Science Diet) funds all types of program and seminars in vet schools, so many vets have become convinced (brainwashed?) that SD is a quality product.

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ

Last edited by roxy84; 04-10-2010 at 08:48 AM.
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Diesel is a sweet looking guy! And thinner is better for health than overweight......... as far as not eating his kibble, he may just need a change. Dogs need variety, and with all the dog food recall scares of the past years it's a good policy anyway not to feed the same brand all the time. I feed raw now, but when I was feeding kibble I used to change formulas every six months or so, just to be safe. Eukanuba (way overpriced if you are paying $60 a bag) nor Alpo are good choices IMO - I think for that price you could get something like Natural Balance or Wellness, much better quality.

BTW, the appearance of a dog's stool isn't ALWAYS an indicator of good health - I lost a dog under anesthetic some years ago. An autopsy showed cancer: we didn't even know she was ill, her appetite and stool were normal. Just an FYI...... and I agree with the above poster, vets have rudimentary training at best when it comes to nutrition - they are one of the last people I would ask for advice.

Good luck with your boy - let us know how it goes!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Anja1Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I called once and asked about food to the vet I use/used.. not thinking I'm going back after they saw Zeva the other day,

They recommend Iams and Eukanuba over the phone. In office, the Vet ASt said the higher the price, generally the better the food w/ dog food and then tells me that she feeds her dogs Purina Pro Plan, the grey bag one, which is 40 bucks for a big back and has as 1* rating.

I told the vet what I was feeding Zeva and they never heard of it, had no idea or didn't care to learn at all about it. They also told me that dogs need corn in their diet lol. yeah, getting a new vet

*OP, get the doggie checked by a vet, then if he's all clear, change the food to better quality and stop giving him so many other yummy choices... Bet he'll start eating again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
based on those pics, he certainly does not look too skinny at all (though its easier to tell from the side standing up).

i cant believe eukanuba makes anything that is $60 a bag. that is closer to the price of a high quality grainless food, which are in a whole different league from eukanuba (as are pretty much every food with grains that would run that high).

...and it is not weird that the vet recommended eukanuba. it is a general consensus on every dog forum i belong to that most vets are not well versed in dog nutrition and spend surprisingly little time on it in veterinary school. furthermore, Hills (makers of Science Diet) funds all types of program and seminars in vet schools, so many vets have become convinced (brainwashed?) that SD is a quality product.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
FuryanGoddess is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.