How much is too much - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default How much is too much

I want your opinion on this one.

I feed my boy 5 cups of food a day.
2 1/2 in the morning and 2 1/2 at night time.

He is a year old and is not neutered

We had him on Solid Gold Wolf King and now switched him over to Blue Wilderness Duck Recipe.

My boy is just a little over 27 inches.
We took him to the Vet and he actually lost 5 pounds in 2 months.
He now weighs 80 pounds.

He is not fat (at least I dont think he is, the Vet also said he looks healthy and in good shape) He is very energetic.

Do you think 5 cups of food a day is too much? How many cups do you feed your GSD?

All opinions welcomed

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Dakota's Unbreakable Vow "Draven" ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think that's too much to be feeding. I feed Sigurd 4 cups a day. 2 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and 1 before bed. He is 80 lbs and in great shape (almost 13 months, altered). I'm sure I could add on another cup to Sigurd's diet and he would still be in shape (he's really energetic).
Sigurd's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It depends on the food you are feeding, and the dogs activity level as far as amounts go.
Growth spurts may require more, or if the dog is feeling cushy, then back off. Training treats should be included in the daily amount, so if your treating lots then less in a meal portion.
I wouldn't worry about the amount of portions as long as you feel a couple ribs. Putting weight on is much easier than taking it off.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are his poops solid? If he's got on and off mushy poops it might mean you are overfeeding or maybe he has a touch of something like EPI.

5 cups kind of seems like a lot (I only feed a little over 2 1/2 -- 72 pound active female), but if he's not overweight I wouldn't cut back. Just maybe look for a reason he might not be absorbing quite as much food.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

His poop is great. I think he would do just fine on 4 so maybe I will cut back and do 4 instead of 5.

He gets 2 treats a day, they are the Wellness yogurt and fruit squares.
He doesn't feel squishy to me? But I can feel ribs.

Thanks Everyone!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
Do you think 5 cups of food a day is too much?
The number of cups per day is not the way to determine if he's eating the right amount of food. The amount of kcals per cup can vary from as little as 300 to nearly 600 depending on what food you're using, so the amount of cups he gets each day is a meaningless number.

The best way is to gauge his condition - you should be able to easily feel his ribs and maybe see one or two (depending on the plushness of his coat). He should have a nip in at the waist when viewed from above and a tuck up when viewed from the side. If that describes his condition well, no matter if you're feeding him 2-1/2 cups a day or 5 cups a day, then he's eating the correct amount. If not, adjust accordingly.

I haven't checked the calories in Wolf King vs Blue Buffalo, but that may be why he's losing weight. I'd suggest you look them up (either on the bag or the company website) and do a comparison.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

80 pounds is the upper range weight for a German Shepherd. A moderately active 80 pound dog needs about 1955 calories per day to maintain his weight. Blue Wilderness Duck has 410 calories per cup. 1955 divided by 410 = 4 3/4 cup so you are close to the mark if your dog is not overweight. That is a good way to estimate your dogs requirements but the only true way is if he is at his optimum weight (not underweight or overweight) and does not lose or gain, that is right for him. If he loses, increase a little; if he gains, decrease a little - very simple. Dogs are just like us in the fact that they have differing rates of metabolism. Some require more, some less. I have one dog that eats half the suggested amount on the bag and has thrived on it for two years.
maquignon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't say so. Frag weighs about 80lbs now at 8 months and he's eating 5 cups a day, and he's LEAN. Not sure on his height though.. Frag isn't neutered either, and I'd say if your guy looks healthy, or is losing weight, than you're not feeding too much. If you posted some pictures, we could probably help tell you if that was a good amount for him, or if maybe he needed more.

Some dogs just burn calories a lot easier, and other not so much. Of course, the amount of energy and exercise they get plays a large part; Frag runs for about an hour 3 times a week with a lot of training and play inside, then he goes to the dog park and runs non stop for a few good hours 3 times a week with training and then gets a day off to recouperate. I think if he'd actually eat it, we could feed him 6 or 7 cups and he wouldn't get fat or even fill out much. He just won't eat it.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post

Do you think 5 cups of food a day is too much? How many cups do you feed your GSD?

All opinions welcomed
no real way to answer this question without seeing his body condition...its impossible to answer without just guessing.

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.